Three people were injured in the aftermath of a natural gas leak and explosion in Bradenton on Thursday, according to Cedar Hammock Fire Control District.
Two of the individuals were inside of a home in the 800 block of 29th Avenue West when an explosion and fire due to the gas leak occurred, according to the fire department. A firefighter also sustained non-life-threatening injuries during rescue operations.
The two residents were transported to Blake Medical Center for care. As of Thursday evening, their condition was unknown.
The gas leak also caused the closure of large stretch of 30th Avenue West for several hours Thursday as emergency crews worked to contain the situation. The sheriff’s office reopened the road Friday morning around 7:30 a.m.
Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue responded to a report about the natural gas leak in the 2900 block of Ninth Street West just before 11:30 a.m. The gas was coming from lines operated by TECO Energy, according to the fire department, and representatives of the company were also on scene. The explosion at the residence on 29th Avenue occurred just after 2 p.m., according to the fire department.