A charging e-bike battery sparked a massive blaze that killed a 9-year-old boy inside his Queens home early Wednesday, officials said.
The lithium-ion battery was being charged inside a three-story home on 102nd Road near 84th St. in Ozone Park when the 2 a.m. blaze broke out, officials said.
Firefighters pulled 14 people out of the home, including little Remi Miguel Gomez Hernandez, who died at the scene, FDNY Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said Wednesday at a promotion ceremony for FDNY fire marshals.
“Early this morning dispatch started receiving frantic calls from folks telling us their home was on fire and adults and children were trapped inside,” Nigro said. “After this fire the fire marshals went in and already discovered what caused this fire. And what caused the fire this morning? Charging a battery for an electric bike.
“This is the third death this year from that alone,” Nigro said, adding that overheated batteries from e-bikes, mopeds and electric scooters has caused “numerous fires and numerous injuries.”
In the previous year, the lithium-ion batteries caused fewer than half as many fires — 22 blazes that injured 13 people, including four firefighters.
Replacements, and not the batteries that originally come with scooters, are usually the ones to catch fire, FDNY Chief Fire Marshal Daniel Flynn told the Daily News.
“The most important thing to do is to stick with the manufacturer’s recommended batteries,” Flynn said.
During his remarks Wednesday, Nigro said further testing may show that the battery which caused Wednesday’s blaze was an after-market brand.