By Bob Dohr, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Improper disposal of smoking materials led to a house fire in Greenfield on Sunday, fire officials say.
The Greenfield Fire Department was notified of the fire at 4018 S. 92nd St. at 11:48 a.m. and arrived at the scene four minutes later, said Greendale Fire Battalion Chief David Stabbe.
When they arrived, firefighters found smoke and flames on the outside of the single-family house, put out that blaze, then found it had gotten into the attic.
“So they went inside, and pulled down the ceilings and put out the fire,” Stabbe said.
The fire was under control within about 10 minutes, he said.
Investigators traced the source of the fire to a potted plant next to the back door that was being used for extinguishing cigarette butts, Stabbe said.
One firefighter suffered a knee injury and was treated and released, Stabbe said.
Read the full story here.