PETALING JAYA: Two firemen suffered injuries when trying to put out a fire at a factory processing recycled goods in Ria Jaya Industrial Park, Sungai Petani, Kedah.
Both firemen were rushed to Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital for treatment. They were among 56 firefighters who were dispatched to the scene.
One of the firemen was injured after a tall stack of paper fell on him while he was putting out the fire. He is in stable condition, Harian Metro reported.
In a statement, the Kedah fire and rescue department said they received a report about the fire at 5.18am and moved into action with the aid of nine volunteer fire squads, including one from Kepala Batas, Penang.
“Two fire engines, ambulances and water tankers were dispatched from the Sungai Petani fire and rescue department.
“The fire involved two factory units processing recycled goods. One of them processed used paper and boxes, and was 20% destroyed by the fire. The other stored plastic and was 80% destroyed.”
A spokesperson for the Kedah fire and rescue department said the cause of the fire is still being investigated, while the losses caused by the blaze have yet to be determined.