SMELL OF GAS…and then the THERMOSTAT KICKED IT…and BOOM!
How would YOUR FD have responded to this? Everyone geared up and protected? Firefighters have been killed on “routine” gas leaks….WHY TAKE A CHANCE?
On a call for gas inside a single family dwelling we arrived to find a very minor smell of natural gas from the open front door. Crew in full PPE went in to investigate. Just as we entered the structure the thermostat kicked on the igniters to the furnace causing a detonation of accumulated gas in the enclosed furnace room blowing the door from the wall. No fire secondary to the detonation but had the accumulation been larger the result could have been much worse. The sound and pressure wave we felt interior was quite impressive. Securing the utilities prior to making entry would have averted the whole incident vs saying, ” I’ll just take a quick peek at what we have, the gas doesn’t smell all that thick.” Better to be safe, than sorry. Thanks Billy for such a great web site and idea.