… But while doing a head count crews realized someone was still inside, trapped in an upstairs room. They frantically scanned the windows, then without wasting any time a firefighter kicked a window in and crews pulled their comrade out… But they were not out of danger. The fire was making the house very unstable…
New Haven-WTNH, Jan. 14, 2004 Updated 10:05 PM) – Flames ripped through a home in the Morris Cove section of New Haven Wednesday, sending firefighters running for their lives.
The fire broke out at a two family home on 14 Cove Street at about 2:30 this afternoon and quickly went up to two alarms. As fire poured out of the two family home, those putting out the blaze are forced to jump for their lives out a window. Three firefighters found their way out of the black, smoke filled rooms on the first floor and into the arms of fellow firefighters.
But while doing a head count crews realized someone was still inside, trapped in an upstairs room. They frantically scanned the windows, then without wasting any time a firefighter kicked a window in and crews pulled their comrade out.
But they were not out of danger. The fire was making the house very unstable.
“Everybody stay still.”
“Those conditions were very very hostile. That firefighter they pulled out of there was very fortunate,” said Chief Michael Grant, New Haven Fire Department. “There was some excellent rescue work out there. Excellent rescue work.”
That firefighter was one of two taken to the hospital. Then other crews got back to fighting the ferocious fire.
“Conditions deteriorated very rapidly. The buildup of heat. I’m sure a lot of the wind conditions coming up off the water accelerated the fire,” Chief Grant said.
Those who were at home when the fire started made it out, but four family pets were lost. Three cats and a dog.
“I tried to go upstairs to get the dog, but started choking and went back downstairs, and the dog was left up there and that was it,” said Donnie Miller, who lived in the house.
Still, residents feel grateful for firefighters who risked their lives trying to make sure everyone was out of the building.
“We save each other’s lives, we save other people’s lives,” Chief Grant said. “This was a situation where we had to save one of our own.”
Police have not released the names of the two firefighters who were injured. News Channel 8 is told one was admitted to the hospital with burns on his face and neck. Another was released.
The home has been labeled dangerous and it’s being torn down. As for the families who lived in the home, the Red Cross is now assisting all 10 of them.