SPRINGFIELD, MA—Two residents were displaced and a firefighter was injured in a blaze caused by a rooftop solar panel system malfunction on Wednesday.
The two male residents will stay with relatives until repairs can be made to their home at 90 Rochelle St., said Fire Capt. Brian Tetreault, commander of the Arson and Bomb Squad.
One firefighter suffered unknown injuries while working at the fire. He was brought to a local hospital for treatment, he said.
The fire was reported at about 4:20 p.m. When firefighters arrived, the roof was on fire, and the flames had spread to the attic. The fire was extinguished quickly, Tetreault said.
The Arson and Bomb Squad determined the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the solar panel system. The damage is estimated at $15,000, he said.