On 8/3/1894 a Detroit, Michigan mill and lumber yard fire killed a firefighter and injured six others on Franklin and Rivard Streets adjoining the Detroit, Grand Haven, and Milwaukee railroad tracks shortly after 3:00 p.m.
On 8/3/1923 a Wilmington, Delaware firefighter died. “Shortly before his death, he fought a blaze at the Amalgamated Leather Co. plant at Front and Adams streets. He was believed to have inhaled noxious ammonia fumes and died from pneumonia as a result.”
On 8/3/1994 a Louisville, Kentucky firefighter “was killed when the roof collapsed under him while performing ventilation at a fire in a storage facility. He fell into a storage area where, according to investigators, he was able to force his way into a hallway but was then trapped by interlocking doors and heavy fire conditions. Rescue efforts were hampered by maze-like conditions in the building. His body was found with a depleted air bottle and dislodged facepiece. He had been exposed to fire conditions that exceeded the protective envelope provided by his turnout gear. Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful. He was wearing an operating personal alert safety system (PASS) device, but it was in the off position. He died of smoke inhalation and burns.”
On 8/3/2007 two Tyler, Texas firefighters died after responding to a mutual aid structure fire in a residence. When they arrived on the scene, the firefighters donned full protective clothing and entered the structure with a handline. The fire appeared to be under control and theirs was the third line to enter the structure. One firefighter communicated with the incident commander by radio, asking about the status of electrical service to the building. After not hearing from both of the firefighters for approximately 15 minutes, a rapid intervention crew (RIC) was sent in to find the two firefighters. Both firefighters were removed from the building. Both firefighters died of burns. The details of the incident are unknown but factors that may have played a part in the incident were a positive pressure ventilation fan placed at the door and renovations to the house that created a double roof.”
On 8/3/2021 three firefighters were killed in a multi-family dwelling fire that occurred in Caseros, a town in Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. The fire destroyed an apartment on the fifth floor of a new complex located in Marco Polo and San Martín.
On 8/3/1983 a warehouse was destroyed by fire, with losses of over $50 million, in Hamburg, Germany.
On 8/3/1933 the Dover, New Hampshire City Hall was destroyed by fire.
On 8/3/1907 in Winona, Washington a dynamite explosion and fire killed one and injured twenty at the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company’s coal shed.
On 8/3/1906 the Malick Creamery was destroyed by fire in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
On 8/3/1895 the Sprague, Washington conflagration started.
On 8/3/1891 the Siegel, Cooper & Company Dry Goods Store was destroyed by a fire that started in the exchange room on the first floor and rapidly spread through the stock at 7:30 a.m. in the large retail dry goods store on the southeast corner of State and Adams Streets in Chicago, Illinois.
On 8/3/1880 the Annapolis, Nova Scotia conflagration started.