5/2/1858 two Boston, Massachusetts firefighters “died when they were buried by falling granite walls at 133-139 Federal Street, at the corner of Milton Place. The fire started at 137 Federal Street, a large five story granite structure. The building was occupied by the Douglas Axe Company in the lower stories, and Byram & Binley, a bindery company, in the higher stories. Four persons were tragically killed when a wall collapsed onto an adjoining boarding house. About 11:00 a.m. flames were discovered issuing from the book–bindery and printing office of Byram & Binley, from an upper-room, known as the ‘Girls’ room.’ This building and the one adjoining were five stories in height, new, and with a substantial front of granite. The fire communicated by the roof to the adjoining warehouse of Messrs. Grant, Warren & Co., large paper dealers, Nos. 133 and 135, and though separated by a brick wall, the fire descended from story to story, as the floors fell in, and completely gutted the building. The total loss of properly by this fire is estimated at nearly two hundred thousand dollars. Two firefighters were standing on the roof of the boarding house, when a large portion of the brick side wall of the large store fell in and they were buried in the ruins.”
5/2/1890 the Unicorn Silk Manufacturing Company in Catasauqua, PA fire and explosion killed four including a firefighter at 33 and 35 Greene Street around 6:00 a.m.
5/2/1908 a New Haven, CT firefighters died from the injuries he sustained after a boiler exploded.
5/2/1911 a Fort Scott, Kansas firefighter “was crushed under a falling brick wall at a two-story brick Power House, he died at the Mercy Hospital at 1:40 a.m. Two other firefighters were injured.”
5/2/1921 a Portland, ME firefighter died while fighting a fire at the high school. “On arrival, firefighters found heavy fire showing from a high school. As the members of Engine 6 operated a large line from a ground ladder at the front of the building, a large portion of the cornice collapsed. It fell onto the ladder, knocking the firefighters to the ground in a shower of fire and debris. He was killed, and the other members of the company were injured at the three-alarm blaze.”
5/2/1926 a Waterbury, CT “died from the injuries he sustained while operating at a fire.”
5/2/1946 four Westport, CT firefighters “died from the injuries and burns they sustained after a truck explosion. A truck containing nylon yarn and rubber cement had blown a front tire, causing it to swerve into a tree. Almost immediately flames had flashed from the gas tank, enveloping the cab. The sounds of muffled explosions were heard from inside the truck. When the members from Westport Fire Department arrived at the scene the firefighters approached the truck with the hose from the chemical tank just as the door blew out and the men were sprayed with a blazing liquid. Spectators rushed to the aid of the firefighters, helping several of them roll on the ground to extinguish their blazing garments. A call was sent for state police aid and the injured men were rushed to the hospital in state and local police cars and in private automobiles.”
5/2/1973 a California Department of Forestry/CAL FIRE firefighter “died after being exposed to toxic chemicals while operating at a fire.”
5/2/2013 a Reisterstown, Maryland firefighter died at a residential structure fire with residents trapped. “SU418 was the first fire department unit to arrive on-scene and reported smoke showing. The firefighter and the other firefighter donned their personal protective equipment, conducted a reconnaissance of the building, reported someone trapped on the second floor to other firefighters, entered the structure ahead of an engine crew that was advancing a handline, and began a search of the second floor. Firefighters encountered heavy smoke conditions inside and, within minutes, heard a Personal Alert Safety System (PASS) device sounding. A MAYDAY was declared. The firefighter was found in a bedroom unconscious. Firefighters removed him to the exterior and found that he was not breathing. He was transported to the hospital by ambulance but died as a result of his injuries. One civilian was also killed in the fire.”
5/2/1972 Sunshine Silver Mine fire killed ninety-one miners near Kellogg, ID that started from during a welding operation or it may have started from an electrical short.
5/2/1893 the Home for Destitute Children fire killed two and seventy-one were rescued around 11:30 p.m. in Burlington, VT. “The building was erected about thirty-five years ago by the United States Government as a hospital, and was used as such during the war. Passing into the hands of a corporation, it was used as a home for destitute children, and was well known as such throughout the State.”
5/2/1884 the town of Brisbin, PA was destroyed by fire that was started a half a mile west of Hoover, Hughes & Company mill to clear a piece of land for cultivation leaving a “number of families homeless and destitute.”
5/2/1884 the village of Gilman’s Depot, NY conflagration, the entire village on the Port Jervis & Monticello Railroad was destroyed.
5/2/1985 a residential fire sprinkler success story from Cobb County, GA a fire started in a toddler’s bedroom and the residential sprinkler extinguished the fire, alerted occupants and allowed safe evacuation of the building. Sprinkler systems have successfully controlled a number of fires in residential properties since first installed in 1982 with minimal property damage and no injuries. “The result of this incident differs sharply from the results of many other similar residential fires in which tragic losses of life have occurred. One such incident happened in Hollywood, Florida on the night of December 20, 1982. The lack of early occupant warning and extinguishment of the fire in its incipient phase resulted in the death of a child.”