5/1/1856 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter died “while operating at a fire, which destroyed many buildings. He was killed, and numerous other firefighters were injured, when they were caught under a collapsing wall.”
5/1/1906 a Mobile, AL firefighter died at a fire in the J.H. Glennon house at 965 Palmetto Street; it is believed he received a strong electrical shock which resulted in his death.
5/1/1922 two Troy, New York firefighters were killed in a floor collapse while operating at the Log House fire.
5/1/1926 a Milwaukee, WI firefighter “died of burns sustained at the Marsh Woods Products fire on April 26,1926.”
5/1/1987 a Binghamton, NY firefighter “died of health problems caused by exposure to PCB’s at the State Office Building fire on February 5, 1982.” “Polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) is an organic chlorine compound (C12H10−xClx) once widely used as dielectric and coolant fluids in electrical apparatus, carbonless copy paper and in heat transfer fluids.”
5/1/1990 three Hustontown, Pennsylvania firefighters “died inside a well after being exposed to carbon monoxide from the exhaust of a portable gasoline engine-powered pump. The incident occurred after four firefighters responded to a request to remove the remains of a dead animal from a 33-foot deep water well. The Firefighters decided first to pump the water out of the well (12 feet of water). One firefighter climbed down into the well on an aluminum ladder and built a wooden platform at the 15-foot level. A second firefighter climbed down into the well to help position a 9-horsepower gasoline engine powered pump being lowered to the platform. The two firefighters started the engine but were unable to prime the pump. Within a few minutes, the first firefighter became dizzy and exited the well. The second firefighter remained in the well and became unconscious. In the rescue attempt, the first firefighter climbed back down into the well, turned the engine off, and then collapsed unconscious over the engine. By this time, the engine had run approximately 8 or 9 minutes. Within minutes, several other firefighters entered the well in rescue attempts. Only two of the rescuing firefighters wore supplied-air respirators (SCBA). The first firefighter was rescued and revived. The second firefighter and two other firefighters attempting rescue died.”
5/1/2018 a Temiscouta-sur-le-Lac, Quebec, Canada firefighter died “while operating at a fire at the Norampac cardboard-box plant. The Sprinklers activated and filled a ventilation duct with water. The weight of the duct ripped it off the ceiling and it fell on the firefighter, causing fatal injuries.”
5/1/2015 a family of three died in a southeast Houston, TX one-story wood-frame house fire that started around 10:20 p.m. in the 4800 block of Maggie at Coffee.
5/1/2013 a fire killed a woman at psychiatric hospital in central Russia, just days after nearly 38 people died in a fire at a mental hospital near Moscow, the started around 4:45 a.m. inside a patient’s room at a psychiatric hospital in Zherdevsky District of central Russia’s.
5/1/2010 a car bomb was discovered and deactivated in New York City’s Times Square.
5/1/1908 the town of Rowlesburg, WV was destroyed by fire that was started by burglars.
5/1/1903 Fairbanks Mills, ME conflagration destroyed several houses and a factory.
5/1/1884 Antrim, PA conflagration.
5/1/1875 Montpelier, VT conflagration destroyed 30 stores and dwellings.
5/1/1900 Winter Quarters #1 & #4 coal mine explosion killed 200, near Scofield, UT.
5/1/1853 the Steamer Ocean Wave fire near Kingston, ON killed thirty-eight.