4/30/1924 a Chicago, IL firefighter died of asphyxiation while operating at a fire.
4/30/1951 a Cambridge, MA firefighter died “while operating on mutual aid at a tissue warehouse fire in Somerville.”
4/30/2005 an Andover, Iowa firefighter who “was employed at a farm where he found an unconscious co-worker in a manure pit on April 16, 2005, initiated the 911 system and then entered the manure pit to attempt a rescue. He was overcome by the atmosphere in the manure pit and collapsed before he could affect a rescue. Responding firefighters from the fire department arrived on the scene. They donned SCBAs and entered the pit to remove both men. The firefighter was transported to the hospital, where he died on April 30, 2005. The cause of death was listed as brain injuries due to exposure to manure gases.”
4/30/2016 a Pineville, NC firefighter ‘died from injuries sustained while operating on the interior of a commercial structure fire at a strip mall in Pineville, North Carolina. A second firefighter was injured in the incident. According to Pineville fire officials, the firefighter was found in distress by fellow firefighters and was immediately removed from the building. Medics transported him to CMC Main where he was pronounced dead. The Pineville Fire Department was called to a strip mall in the 8500 block of Pineville Matthews Road just after 9:00 p.m. The strip mall included Edwin Watts golf and Family Dollar among other stores. When firefighters arrived on the scene they called for backup from the Charlotte Fire Department. At least two firefighters were inside the Edwin Watts store when crews received a distress call. “A mayday call was sounded. Team resources were directed toward the call for help. Within minutes two firefighters from Pineville Fire Department were removed from the building and transported to Carolinas Medical Center,”
4/30/2014 a natural gas explosion at the Escambia County jail in Pensacola, FL killed two inmates and injured 184 of the 600 inmates and corrections officers in the facility when a gas line exploded around 11:00 p.m. The explosion was believed to have originated in a rear laundry room on the first floor. The basement was flooded during heavy rains (Pensacola Airport reported more than 15 inches before midnight) and a retention wall had collapsed from water damage before the explosion.
4/30/1911 the Bangor, Maine conflagration killed three and injured fifty.
4/30/1928 the Wautoma County Wisconsin Court House was destroyed by a fire that “originated in the basement when the furnace door blew open, between 5 and 6 a.m.”
4/30/1927 Federal #3 coal mine explosion killed 97 in Everetteville, WV.
4/30/1893 six of the twenty occupants died in a tenement house fire in Burlington, IA shortly after 2:00 a.m. in an old brick house at 855 Jefferson Street.