3/23/1895 four Denver, CO firefighters “died when a floor collapsed during a fire at the St. James Hotel. All but one member of Hose Company No. 3 lost their lives. The men were groping about in the blinding smoke in the rotunda and the cement floor gave way, causing them to fall into the basement, where they were mangled and suffocated.”
3/23/1925 a Wichita Falls, TX firefighter died at the tailor shop fire. “When he got to the fire, he ran toward the blaze and aimed a firehose. Then, a gasoline drum exploded, and he was covered in flames. He survived through the night but died from his burns.”
3/23/1927 a Boston, MA firefighter “died from injuries he received on March 20, 1927 at 0035 hours, Box 648, 2 alarms (East Eagle & Glendon Streets). The Box was transmitted for a ship fire and while at work at the fire, he fell into open hatchway of the Sand Steamer “Nobel Maxwell” moored at 300 Condor Street.”
3/23/1954 two Chicago, IL firefighters died at a 2-11 fire that erupted at Rocco Rizzo & Son, a paper company at 618 W. Taylor Street in Chicago. “The fire was started around 7:00 a.m. when Michael Rizzo, owner of the company, added refuse to the fire in the company’s basement boiler. The fire flared, spreading sparks around the room and igniting piles of rags and papers. The Chicago Fire Department quickly responded to the alarm and firefighters were beginning to attack the blaze when a large blast caused by the heat and smoke inside the building brought down one of the structure’s walls. Twelve firefighters who had been spraying hoses through the basement windows or operating on ladders were buried by the debris, and two firefighters died from their injuries.”
3/23/1960 a Waco, TX firefighter died “after a fire in a dwelling had been knocked down, he went inside to check the attic. As he was climbing up a ladder into the attic, he suddenly fell backward, falling into the arms of several firefighters below him. He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.”
3/23/2009 a Hydro, Oklahoma firefighter died while operating at a possible fire in a large grain bin. “Firefighters entered the bin to investigate. In order to get out of the bin, firefighters had to climb up a long ladder. One of the firefighters in the bin was fatigued and could not complete the climb. The victim entered the bin to assist the firefighter. Both firefighters subsequently lost consciousness. Firefighters on the exterior cut a hole in the metal wall of the bin and extricated the two firefighters. The victim was transported to the hospital but was pronounced dead. The cause of death was listed as asphyxiation due to probable carbon monoxide toxicity.”
3/23/2014 Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS) on the outside of a high-rise structure extended fire from the 2nd to 31st-floor in a multi-family residential building in Shenyang, China, after a worker threw burning material out of a window igniting combustible materials on the 2nd floor roof deck.
3/23/1974 Caboose Bar at 128 N. 6th Street fire killed nine and injured a dozen more in Allentown, PA when a gasoline can was ignited and tossed into a crowded bar; the occupants “were trapped by a boarded back door that should have been their escape route.”
3/23/1916 Augusta, GA twenty blocks in the residence section and six business blocks burned leaving “700 houses destroyed and at least 3,000 persons were homeless.”
3/23/1901 Natchez, MS the historical Concord Mansion built by the Spanish Governor Carlos de Grand Pre in 1789 was destroyed by fire.
3/23/1900 the Kuskanook, BC conflagration; “a little town at the terminus of the Crows Neck Pass and the Nelson & Bellington Railway, has been destroyed by fire.”
3/23/1896 DuBois, PA the Berwind White Mine gas explosion killed fifteen.
3/23/1885 Chicago, IL the Langham (boarding) House fire killed five of the 200 people in a large five-story family hotel on the corner of Wabash Avenue and Adams Street that started in the basement and traveled “up the elevator shafts and filled every portion of the building.” “In fifteen minutes the entire building, from basement to roof, was a red-hot furnace.”
3/23/1884 in the business district of Greenville, TX, ten frame buildings were destroyed by fire that started about 4:00 a.m. in the livery stable.
3/23/1866 Cincinnati, OH the Pike’s Opera House on Fourth Street was destroyed by fire that extended across Baker Street and to several buildings on Third Street. “The fire broke out about a half an hour after the audience had been dismissed. Its origin has not been fully ascertained, although the supposition is that it was occasioned by the explosion of gas.”
3/23/1823 Erie, PA the small brick building that stood in the West Park Court House was destroyed by fire that started from stove ashes deposited into a nail keg and not moved outdoors.