2/12/1852 a Boston, MA firefighter died “while operating at a fire that destroyed a commercial building at the Isaiah Howe’s building at 20 Kingston Street. He was killed when he was caught under a collapsing wall. Several other department members were badly injured.”
2/12/1924 a Chicago, IL firefighter died when he fell inside from a three-story unoccupied building fire at 2512 E. 76th Street.
2/12/1951 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter “died after inhalation of gas fumes on December 23, 1950.”
2/12/1962 a Chicago, IL firefighter died while fighting a 5-11 & 4 Specials at 3548 S. Shields Ave. “The fire started in a building leased by an exporting company and spread to an adjacent building housing the Reliable Paste & Chemical Company. More than 65 pieces of fire apparatus and 450 firefighters responded to the alarm.”
2/12/1969 a Bayonne, NJ firefighter died while “fighting a fire at 812 Avenue C. A woman was trapped in her top-floor apartment. Firefighters made five attempts to reach her but they were driven back by heat and smoke.”
2/12/1974 a Cleveland, OH firefighter died while operating at a four-alarm fire in a vacant four-story brick commercial building at 1430 West 9th Street. The firefighter died of smoke inhalation and burns after he fell through floor after becoming trapped in the basement.
2/12/1976 a Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died of pneumonia, which was the result of severe exposure while operating at a five-alarm fire on February 10, 1976.”
2/12/1998 two Chicago, IL firefighter died after a truss roof collapsed into a structure. “On February 11, 1998, at 10:24 p.m., the Chicago Fire Department received a call from the occupant of a private residence at the rear of a commercial tire service center, at 10611 S Western. The caller stating there was a fire in the interior of the building. Above the parts room was a cockloft where tires, Christmas decorations, and miscellaneous items were stored (believed to be the area of origin of the fire). The cockloft was accessible from the service area. The roof system of the service area was constructed of open wooden bow-string trusses, with unprotected polystyrene insulation glued to the underside. The exterior of the roof was a rubberized material, which had recently been repaired.
At approximately 10:30 p.m., the owner of the business arrived to unlock the front door to the showroom. Approximately 8 to 10 firefighters from the first-arriving companies, including two victims, entered the showroom; some firefighters reported no smoke showing, others reported observing a light haze in the showroom, with the odor of a burning car. They opened the door to the service area, where black smoke covering the top one-third of ceiling space was encountered. They entered with a charged 1¾ inch hose line, which was connected to a 2½ inch leadout line. The firefighters indicated that at no time did any them feel any excessive heat or see any fire. When the firefighters entered the building, two firefighters from Truck 45 in front of the building, and two firefighters from Truck 24 went to the rear of the building. They ascended ground ladders to the roof to cut ventilating holes in the roof with axes. The firefighters on Truck 24 stated that there was no smoke or fire showing when they arrived at the rear of the building; however, they noticed the windows were dark and smoky. One firefighter punched a small hole in one window with an axe tip, and black smoke billowed out. Within 5 to 8 minutes, the four firefighters on the roof had chopped a ventilation hole, approximately 4- or 5-foot square. When they peeled back the opening, black smoke was emitting from the hole. However, within 30 seconds, flames also started roaring up through the opening. All four firefighters immediately picked up their equipment and descended the ladders to the ground. At approximately 10:43 p.m., the 8 to 10 firefighters and officers who were inside the building had advanced some 15 to 20 feet into the service area where thick black smoke was above them. At approximately 10:45 p.m., without warning, hot gases that had accumulated along the 20- foot-high ceiling ignited, causing a backdraft situation. This created a pressure wave, knocking the firefighters off balance and to the floor. The firefighters became disoriented, could not find the hose, and were scrambling and yelling in an attempt to escape the inferno they had been caught in. Additionally, the molten polystyrene insulation from the ceiling area began falling down on them. One firefighter later reported that he could hear his fellow firefighters running into and knocking over things, yelling, and screaming, trying to escape from the burning structure. One firefighter dove through the office window to escape the burning building. The escape from the service area was complicated by the 20 cars stored in the service area, the intense heat, heavy black smoke, disorientation and panic from being trapped. When the firefighters exited the burning structure, an immediate head count was taken, and it was discovered that two firefighters were missing. Rescue attempts by firefighters to reenter the structure were numerous but futile, as the entire service area became fully involved with fire, prohibiting entry and rescue the missing fire fighters. Within 30 minutes, the entire truss roof collapsed into the structure. Once the fire was extinguished, the two firefighters were removed from the scene and transported to Little Company of Mary’s Hospital Emergency Room. The first firefighter was pronounced dead-on-arrival at 1:24 a.m., while second firefighter was pronounced dead-on-arrival at 1:32 a.m.”
2/12/2018 a Lawrenceburg, TN firefighter “died from injuries sustained in a structural collapse while operating at the scene of a residential structure fire. Two other firefighters were injured in the collapse and taken to the hospital. The fire started in a two-story residence along Lakeview Drive at around 4:30 p.m. According to media reports, crews transmitted a “Mayday Emergency” near 8:00 p.m. when the three firefighters became trapped as the result of a collapse.”
2/12/2015 around 9:45 a.m. an explosion at the factory in Igualada, Spain caused by an accidental contact between three chemicals forced “66,000 residents in Òdena, Igualada, Jorba y Vilanova del Camí to stay at home, close windows and doors and avoid going outside.”
2/12/1968 a fire at a Knitting factory killed nineteen of those who lived in apartment above the factory in Hong Kong.
2/12/1917 Minneapolis, MN thirteen of the sixty-eight guests died in Kenwood Hotel fire about midnight; “an explosion of gasoline in the basement of the wooden building is thought to have caused the blaze.”
2/12/1905 Battle House Hotel fire, in Mobile, AL was completely destroyed, and the adjacent buildings were severely damaged about 10:45 p.m. every one of the 147 guests safely escaped.
2/12/1899 Lincoln, NE the George Segelke, a pop factory, caught fire by the explosion of gas in a coal stove and was destroyed.
2/12/1883 Kinsterdam, NY S. Blaiskell, Jr., & Co, a knitting mill was destroyed by fire after a watchman entered the cellar with a lamp causing an explosion of gasoline.