12/27/1983 Buffalo, NY a propane gas explosion leveled seven building, killed seven (five firefighters), and injured at least fifty people. The explosion occurred at a warehouse about 8:30 p.m. as firefighters were arriving on the scene to a reported liquid propane gas leak. The incident occurred at the site of a four-story warehouse (Type III ordinary and Type IV heavy timber construction) at the intersection of North Division and Grosvenor streets. An employee was moving a 500-lb. propane tank with a forklift truck dropped it, breaking off a valve. Propane gas started leaking eventually reaching an open flame. When the fire department arrived, they reported “nothing showing.” Approximately 37 seconds after the chief announced his arrival, the tank exploded, instantly killing the five firefighters and two civilians. The explosion injured approximately sixty other people, damaged a dozen city blocks and caused millions of dollars of damage.
12/27/1886 two Philadelphia, PA firefighters died from injuries they sustained at the Temple Theater 717- 721 Chestnut Street.
12/27/1892 two Milwaukee, WI firefighters “died of smoke inhalation at a rapidly spreading general-alarm fire that destroyed two large tanneries. The bodies of two civilians were also found in the rubble two days later.”
12/27/1917 a Boston, MA firefighter was killed while fighting a four-alarm fire at 7 Sears Street, in the heart of the wholesale paper district. He was fighting flames from a fire escape on the second floor of the burning building, and slipped on the ice and fell to the ground fracturing his hip. He died later that day from the injuries he received at the fire.
12/27/1922 a Louisville, KY firefighter was overcome by smoke while fighting a fire at LaPalma Restaurant. He died 5 days later.
12/27/1941 a Chicago, IL firefighter died from injuries from a fall at a fire. “On December 20, 1941, he was fatally injured while fighting a fire at a brewery on West 21st Street, 2125 Blue Island. He was fighting the fire from atop a ladder when the water pressure of his hose threw him off balance. He fell more than twenty-five feet to the ground and broke his back. He was treated at St. Anthony’s Hospital, where he succumbed to his injury on December 27.”
12/27/1949 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter “died from injuries he received at a 2nd alarm fire at 117 Callowhill Street, when a wall fell.”
12/27/1950 a Rochelle, IL firefighter died while fighting a fire in downtown Rochelle. “The fire started in the basement of a commercial building, he was operating inside the basement when the building collapsed. Firefighters from ten area fire departments responded to the fire, which burned for more than twelve hours in sub-freezing temperatures. Two commercial buildings that also contained five second-story apartments were destroyed in the fire, leaving fourteen residents homeless.”
12/27/1961 a Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died of smoke inhalation while attempting to rescue several people trapped on the upper floors of a blazing hotel during a two-alarm fire.”
12/27/1965 a Kansas City, Kansas firefighter “died after he collapsed while operating at a fire at the Stubbs Building, at 645 Minnesota Avenue. He was standing beside two other firefighters when he collapsed. He was transported to Providence Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.”
12/27/1976 a Brooklyn Park, Anne Arundel County, Maryland firefighter “died as a result of massive burns sustained the previous day, when he and another firefighter were caught in an explosion and flashover.”
12/27/1980 a Little Rock, AR firefighter died fighting a house fire. “While opening the roof at an extremely smoky and stubborn dwelling fire. A crew of Little Rock (AR) firefighters became trapped when a flashover occurred, thereby preventing their egress from the roof. Short-handed firefighters stretch a line to the front porch so that the fire could be knocked down to allow the trapped men to leave the roof. Suddenly, one firefighter collapsed in full arrest.”
12/27/1992 a Feds Creek, Kentucky firefighter was “severely injured during a roof/ceiling collapse after an explosion in a hardware store. During surgery for his cervical vertebra, he suffered a reaction to anesthesia and slipped into a coma. He died 18 months later due to an infection.”
12/27/1996 a Forsyth County, Cumming, Georgia firefighter died while operating at a fire. “On arrival, firefighters found heavy fire showing from the basement and first-floor of a three-story frame building housing a dozen condominiums. Approximately 15 minutes after the arrival of firefighters, four of the men had gone to the second floor to check for extension. Without warning, the roof collapsed in a pancake fashion, trapping one firefighter on the second-floor. Everyone was forced to back out of the building, as it became fully involved. Firefighters made an exterior attack and it was not until 12 hours later that his body was found in the charred rubble.
12/27/2010 five occupants were found dead from Carbon Monoxide poisoning after a car was left running under a Hialeah, FL motel room. The car was left running on the bottom-floor in a single-car garage with the interior stairway door leading to the second floor slightly opened, allowing the CO gas to seep upstairs.
12/27/2005 Cross Plains, Texas conflagration killed two and destroyed 130 homes from a devastating wildland fire in the northern plains of Texas. The majority of fuels were grasses, drought conditions escalated in December. The area only received 10% of its normal precipitation as a cold front with a corresponding dry line would result in winds in excess of 29 mph with gusts to 38 and a relative humidity (RH) of 12%.
12/27/1975 a mine explosion killed 431 in Chasnala, India.
12/27/2013 a fire in a coach of an express train traveling from Bangalore to Nanded in southern India, near the small town of Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh state, killed twenty-six passengers, many of whom were trapped and suffocated after the doors failed to open. Exit doors of Indian trains are customarily locked at night, while the carriage windows are covered with bars, making escape all but impossible. Many bodies were found near the jammed doors. Sixty-seven passengers were in the carriage when the fire started, more than a dozen people were transported to hospitals with injuries, most of the passengers were asleep. The fire was caused by an electrical short circuit and started around 3:45 a.m. in a railroad sleeping car.
12/27/1957 Amonate, VA a coal mine gas explosion and flash fire killed eleven; the blast occurred about 6:30 p.m., 500 feet underground and two miles from the main entrance of the mine.
12/27/1928 Key West, FL the Lighthouse Tender Poinsettia caught fire and exploded when a match was struck in the galley to start cooking breakfast, killing one and injuring three. Docked at her berth at the navy yard, the entire port side of the craft was blown away.
12/27/1908 eight buildings were destroyed by fire in Oneonta, NY, the whole business section was threatened. The fire started in the Arlington Hotel building and spread rapidly along the block of wooden buildings.
12/27/1837 Natchitoches, LA the Steamboat Black Hawk explosion killed fifty on a cold wintry night, while the vessel was ascending the Red River, on her passage from Natchez to Natchitoches. The boat had a full load of passengers and freight. She had just reached the mouth of Red River, when the boiler exploded.