10/13/1889 a Middletown, CT firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained while he was entering a building.”
10/13/1916 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter “died of the injuries he sustained after he was caught in a roof collapse at 913-919 W. York Street.”
10/13/1930 a Norwich, CT firefighter “died after suffering CO poisoning while operating at a brush fire.”
10/13/1937 a Baltimore, MD firefighter died at a in a three-story brick loft building occupied by a printing concern and a paper box company. “Engine 5 had placed a line into operation and was pouring water into the third-floor windows when suddenly, a loud cracking noise was heard and the building started to come down. As the crew ran for their lives, the firefighter stumbled over a raised street grating, while just inches from safety, and fell. In a second, he was buried under 20 feet of burning rubble. Rescue operations were started immediately, and torches had to be used to cut away metal that was blocking the rescue efforts. His crushed body was found after a half-hour. The fire went to five alarms.”
10/13/1953 a Brooklyn, New York (FDNY) “died of smoke inhalation while operating a hoseline on a ladder at a fire that destroyed a large five-story brick abandoned factory building.”
10/13/1960 a Chicago, IL firefighter died “during an arson fire in a commercial structure at 1350 Milwaukee Avenue. He collapsed due to smoke inhalation while fighting the fire, and was transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital where he was pronounced dead.”
10/13/1962 a Newark, NJ firefighter died “at a two-alarm fire at Station 1436, on South 11th Street. He was attempting an interior rescue when he became trapped on the second floor. He was later found dead of smoke inhalation.”
10/13/1962 a Memphis, TN firefighter died while operating at a fire in a vacant dwelling, he became overcome by smoke and was found lying unconscious in a front room. He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The firefighter had been wearing a filter-type mask, which was later found to be operated properly. There was apparently a very heavy build-up of smoke, resulting in a higher carbon monoxide-laden atmosphere than the mask was designed to work.”
10/13/1967 a Fisher, IN firefighter died assisting “the Noblesville Fire Department with a commercial multi – alarm fire in downtown Noblesville at Goeke Auto, 6th and Conner Street. There was an explosion that collapsed a wall. The firefighter pushed another firefighter from Westfield out of the way, saving the life of that firefighter at the cost of his own. The fire consumed several buildings in the downtown business district in Noblesville.”
10/13/1996 a Jefferson Parish, Louisiana firefighter died at a “two-story frame dwelling heavily involved in fire with extension to two smaller houses on either side. Firefighters immediately began to stretch lines into place and enter the buildings to check for possible trapped occupants. The firefighter had just gotten a fresh mask and was preparing to enter one of the buildings to search for the third time, when he suffered a massive heart attack and collapsed to the street, in full arrest. Paramedics started CPR immediately and he was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead after several additional attempts were made to revive him. There were no occupants in any of the homes at the time of the fire.”
10/13/1998 a Klingerstown, Pennsylvania firefighter “was actively involved in the suppression of a fire in an industrial occupancy. Upon exiting the structure, he collapsed and died of a heart attack.”
10/13/2001 a Houston, TX firefighter “was killed at a six-alarm high-rise apartment fire at S. Post Oak Lane and San Felipe Road. He responded on the first-alarm and was on a search and rescue mission on the fire-(5th)-floor. Upon the arrival to the fire floor, he and a firefighter were joined by the officer and firefighter of another ladder company. The four firefighters entered the occupancy and began to fight the fire. Two firefighters ran low on air and exited the occupancy. As they opened the stairway door, the fire conditions worsened dramatically. The other two decided to leave the occupancy by following the hoseline out but became separated in the hallway. He called for help. Responding firefighters found him because of his activated PASS device. Firefighters had difficulty removing the SCBA from him and by the time he was moved to an area of refuge, he was out of air. During the rescue attempt, two of the RIT companies had also become disoriented and had difficulty getting out of the structure. Despite their efforts, the firefighter died of asphyxiation due to smoke inhalation.”
10/13/1993 shortly before 6:00 p.m. an accidental fire at Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas extensively damage twelve private suites but was restricted to a small area of the stadium, there were no injuries. The fire-resistive concrete and steel stadium structure was built in the 1960’s. “The growing fire broke large plastic windows facing the playing field allowing spread both vertically and horizontally into adjacent private suites.” The fire flashed over in the compartment of origin and spread to 11 other suites.
10/13/1966 Monsanto chemical plant fire killed eleven in La Salle, PQ.
10/13/1907 Gloversville, NY a house fire killed six, the father and five daughters.
10/13/1895 Winnipeg, Manitoba a prairie fire heavily damaged the agricultural districts in the near vicinity of Winnipeg, “doing great damage, barns, hay-stacks, and buildings” “It is feared there have been numerous fatalities, but only four are as yet reported.”
10/13/2010 thirty-three Chilean miners were rescued after 69 days trapped nearly half a mile underground on August 5 after the San Jose gold and copper mine collapsed. On August 22, a drill sent by rescuers broke through, and the men sent back up a note saying, “We are fine in the refuge, the 33.”
10/13/1918 Francis L. (Frank) Brannigan’s birthday. He passed on January 10, 2006, teacher and writer, author of Building Construction for the Fire Service, in the field of fire protection engineering. As Professor and Director of the Fire Science program at Montgomery College, Rockville, Maryland, he designed a model Fire Science program. He was also a faculty member at the National Fire Academy and at the University of Maryland’s Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute. Brannigan was elected a Fellow of the Society of Fire Protection Engineers.