1/24/1908 a total of twenty-two firefighters were injured and three killed in a Baltimore, MD three-alarm fire in a six-story brick foundry. Heavy fire was found on the third floor. “Shortly after firefighters’ efforts began on the roaring blaze, a wall had collapsed without warning, burying up to 30 firefighters and totally destroying Truck 1’s aerial ladder truck. With no regard for their own safety, other firefighters struggled through the clouds of smoke and dust to dig out their trapped comrades. Several times they had to stop as flames poured out over their heads. One by one the dead and injured were removed from under tons of rubble.”
1/24/1900 a Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died as a result of severe smoke inhalation sustained while operating at a two-alarm bowling alley fire on January 10, 1900.”
1/24/1934 a Buffalo, NY firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained after being buried under debris from an explosion at the William E. Kreiner & Sons Malthouse, at 467 Spring Street. Members of the Buffalo Fire Department were operating at a three-alarm fire when an explosion caused by wheat dust occurred.”
1/24/1939 a Queens, New York (FDNY) died of smoke inhalation while operating at a single alarm fire.
1/24/1970 a Cottage Grove, OR firefighter “was killed while operating at a factory fire.”
1/24/1972 a Columbus, OH firefighter “died as a result of the injuries he sustained while operating at a fire on January 15, 1972.”
1/24/2014 a home in rural Fayette County four miles southwest of Arlington, in northeast Iowa killed five.
1/24/1993 around 7:18 a.m. an incendiary fire at the South Shore Hospital in Weymouth, Massachusetts was stopped by one sprinkler using standard-response sprinkler heads and caused damage only to materials in the room of fire origin, smoke did spread into the corridor. The facility was equipped with a building-alarm system that was interlocked with the sprinkler system and notified the fire department, magnetic hold-open devices for corridor and patient room doors.
1/24/1957 M. Baer Dress Company factory in New Haven, CT fire killed fifteen and injured thirty-one of the 112 workers present, as the fire raced through the 70-year-old four-story loft building. A fire escape jammed and did not lower to the ground
1/24/1940 a fire destroyed the Hinton, WV school building that started in the basement of the 14-room brick structure around 5:00 p.m.
1/24/1918 an explosion and fire at the Allan Coal Mine in Stellarton, NS killed eight-nine.
1/24/1916 a gas explosion at the Kelker Blower Co in Buffalo, NY killed five and seriously injured four of the twenty-five employees in the long two-story frame structure. A machine shop occupied the first floor and basement, where the explosion occurred, and second floor contained a storeroom and apartments.
1/24/1907 the Academy of Music was destroyed by fire at Ninth and D Streets NW. Washington, DC at 4:55 a.m.
1/24/1906 a mine explosion in Indian Territory (Witteville, OK) killed sixteen.
1/24/1898 the great eastern block of Spokane, WA fire killed four.
1/24/1898 five of the 150 guests died in a fire in six-story brick lodging-house at Post Street and Riverside Avenue in Spokane, Washington around 11:45 p.m.
1/24/1896 Matteawan, NY State Hospital for the Criminal Insane was destroyed by fire at 4:30 p.m. that was started in three or four places.
1/24/1891 a tenement fire killed eleven and displaces six families in Jersey City, NJ. The fire was first observed in the rear windows on the ground floor of the old tenement building at the northeast corner of Essex and Greene Street.
1/24/1882 the Hartford, CT public high school was destroyed by fire that started from a stove in the basement used to heat a large ventilating shaft in the building was erected in 1870.
1/24/1866 the Atlantic White Lead Works in Brooklyn, NY was destroyed by fire “occupying nearly the entire block bounded by Gold and Marshall Streets, Hudson Avenue and the river that manufacture white lead, paints and linseed oil in the brick, four and five story building. The fire started in the vicinity of the smokestack in the center of the building and spread rapidly driven by a strong wind.