1/18/1856 a Fall River, MA firefighter died while firefighters “were fighting a fire that destroyed a furniture and stove store, a man in a horse-drawn sleigh approached the scene. Suddenly, the horse reared up and ran into a crowd. He was run over in the uproar and critically injured. He was taken to his home, where he died a short time later.”
1/18/1924 a Minneapolis, MN firefighter slipped from an icy roof while fighting a fire in a two-story house at 1916 2nd Avenue South. His injuries in the fall resulted in his death an hour later.
1/18/1925 an Indianapolis, IN firefighter “found light smoke coming from a vacant building at 2944 N. Clifton St. The firefighter who had just returned to duty after a three-week illness, entered the structure in an attempt to locate the source. A short time later, he exited the building and collapsed. All attempts to revive him failed and he died while en route to the hospital.”
1/18/1935 a Manhattan, NY (FDNY) firefighter died at Box # 66-303, 32 Grand Street after he was overcome by smoke inhalation and burns while operating at a fire. The fire was started by an overturned oil stove in a second-floor apartment.
1/18/1940 a Minneapolis, MN firefighter died while working a fire in the Spruce Villa apartments, 1365 Spruce Place, he fell through a fire weakened floor into a blazing apartment before he could be rescued. He was died from burns and asphyxiation.
1/18/1971 a Milwaukee, WI firefighter was asphyxiated at a dwelling fire at 2437 N. 1st Street. “While wearing a filter-type Burrell mask at a large, duplex-dwelling fire at 2437 N. 1st Street, the firefighter became overcome by smoke and died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. An investigation into his death revealed that the masks were designed to operate in an atmosphere of only two per cent carbon monoxide; however, it was discovered that many fires were giving off as much as six percent. These findings resulted in the discontinued use of the filter masks and the purchase of additional SCBAs.”
1/18/1972 a Maywood, IL firefighter “died operating at a fire.”
1/18/1981 a Lehigh Acres, Florida firefighter died from smoke inhalation
1/18/1981 a Cincinnati, OH firefighter “died as a result of internal bleeding due to a ruptured spleen, which occurred when he was struck by a hose coupling while operating at a fire on January 15, 1981.”
1/18/1996 a Cairo, GA firefighter “died while fighting a structure fire. The firefighter was ventilating a house fire by breaking the windows with a fire hose. After he had ventilated two windows, he turned around and collapsed. EMS was called, and he was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
1/18/2011 a 12’’ high-pressure natural gas pipeline exploded in Philadelphia, PA that killed one and injured five and sent a fireball 50 feet high in the air in the Tacony Section of the city. Firefighters were called at 7:20 p.m. because of an obvious smell of gas, at 7:26 they called for hazmat crews and observed gas was bubbling through the pavement, then the gas main blew. The gas company shut off the gas so that firefighters could battle the fire, by 10:30 p.m. the fire appeared to be dying down and it was officially under control just before 11:00 p.m.
1/18/2015 four workers escaped from a truck fire in a railway tunnel above Ngauranga Gorge near Wellington, New Zealand around 2:45 p.m.
1/18/1938 a fire at the Sacred Heart College in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec killed forty-six at a boarding school for boys, the 2:00 a.m. The blaze apparently spread rapidly trapping up to 100, and several were injured; fire operations lasted over 3 hours in near zero temperatures.
1/18/1927 a three-alarm fire destroyed the Mitchell Brothers building at W. Water Street in Milwaukee, WI.
1/18/1923 Elon, NC College the Administration Building burned to the ground in an early morning fire that gutted the three-story building.
1/18/1916 Gulfport, MS the Harrison County Courthouse was destroyed by fire, the jury in a murder case narrowly escaped.
1/18/1910 Orange, TX the Herman Nelson Shipyard was destroyed by fire.
1/18/1885 in Kankakee, IL a fire at the Insane Hospital killed seventeen at 4:00 a.m. that started in the south infirmary, a detached ward, over the furnaces and was drawn through the building by a network of flues along the halls and stairs.