A veteran Volunteer Firefighter with the Mahopac Falls (NY) FD suffered a severe head injury yesterday after he fell off apparatus that the FD had taken to a nursery school for a fire-safety demonstration. FF Robert Johnson, 75, was trying to retrieve an air tank from the driver’s-side compartment of the truck when he lost his footing and fell two to four feet, striking his head on the ground and losing consciousness. He is in critical condition. Fire Chief Annie Link said he’s been a member of the MFFD for 17 years, and is a former Marine. We wish FF Johnson a rapid recovery.
Colorado State health officials found that an outbreak of a staph infection is tied to a fire training center. Several fire recruits who were training at the Poudre Valley Fire Training Center have been diagnosed with the infection, known as MRSA. Poudre Valley Fire spokesman Patrick Love says the center has been cleaned and that managers are taking other steps recommended by health officials. The Fort Collins facility is part of a regional training system serving departments from Cheyenne, Wyo., to Boulder, where the ill fire recruits are from. Here is more info on MRSA related to Firefighters:
Take Care-BE CAREFUL.
The Secret List 10-21-08 / 1011 hours