The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC), International Association of Fire Chiefs’ Volunteer and Combination Officers Section (VCOS), and the International Society of Fire Service Instructors (ISFSI) have joined together to release a new operational training guide for firefighters. Training Volunteer Firefighters to Be Combat Ready helps departments develop a training program that meets the needs of the community.
This new guide incorporates key considerations and specific best practices to form a blueprint for a successful training program. Authors contributed their expertise and insights to help direct department leaders in creating a strong foundation for fire department operational training.
The new guide contains 10 sections that cover the following topic areas:
- Training delivery and engagement methods
- Surviving the job
- Why training is important
- Roles of the training officer, instructor, and student
- Planning training
- Training policies and procedures
- Assessing firefighters’ capabilities
- NFPA standards and OSHA regulations
- Developing and implementing training best practices
- First due recommended firefighter performance criteria
In addition to the core subject areas, seven appendices provide additional resources, insights, and sample documents that departments can use when developing or enhancing their training program.
Download the guide below.
Take Care. Be Careful. Pass It On.
The Secret List 11-15-2022-0833 Hours