A firefighter was went to hospital with an arm injury after battling an early-morning blaze that caused $100,000 in damage to a vacant home in downtown Hamilton.
The fire department responded to the blaze at 53 Cathcart St. just west of Wellington Street around 12:15 a.m. Monday to find heavy smoke.
The residents of the neighbouring semi-detached two-storey home were outside when firefighters arrived.
They searched the home and found a “well-involved” fire in the basement. Firefighters quickly put out the blaze but it went up to the second-floor attic through the wall.
The flames didn’t spread to neighbouring homes, however, fire department information Claudio Mostacci said in a news release.
No residents were injured, but a firefighter was sent to hospital with an arm injury received during an overhaul operation, Mostacci said. He has been released from hospital.
The dollar loss is expected to be $100,000, the fire department says.
“The cause of the fire was electrical and not considered suspicious.”
The vacant home had working smoke alarms. The neighbouring semi has some water damage but the residents have been able to return.