Another Crew Attacked on EMS Call

On 7-18-2008 @ 0051 hrs. (Inc. # 8170202) R28 responded to a 28 YOF CX/SOB, VERY 408. Upon arrival R28 was met by a black gentleman who waved for us to follow him to the front door of his home. While following him down the sidewalk towards the front door, I asked him what is going on and how can we help, he responded by pointing to the upstairs and making no verbal communication, I thought he might be mute or deaf, or both. Upon entering the home and making a left turn to proceed upstairs I could smell alcohol reeking from the gentleman. About halfway up the stairs he shouted out to someone, “baby I have help coming." R28 and AMR followed the gentleman down the hallway to the restroom where we found a middle aged woman assisting a 28 yo WFA sitting on the bathroom floor, short of breath wrapped in a sheet. I began my assessment by asking questions about what had brought this on, how long ago this began, were you eating anything, do you itch, do you have hives, etc…..all of the answers either came from the middle aged woman or the black gentleman. Approximately 5-7 minutes into the assessment the black gentleman who was standing outside of the bathroom with the other female, made a very loud banging noise and shouted, “I called for fucking help and all you want to do is bullshit." Jason Smith from AMR asked his partner (Alex Lozano) to calm down the man because we were making progress calming down our patient. As Alex was explaining to the gentleman what was going on, I heard the gentleman yell, "I am going to kill you mother fuckers"………then repeated himself 3 times. I felt since I was running the call and had been the medic talking with the patient that maybe I could help him understand that our patient was simply hyperventilating. I removed myself from the bathroom and began talking with the man, leaving our patient with Chris Cave and Jason Smith. While explaining the condition of our patient to him he walked past me screaming, " I am going to kill you mother fuckers." I followed him down the hallway trying to calm him. Once he entered the master bedroom I stopped and observed his actions while positioning myself behind the bedroom door. I observed him open the top nightstand drawer, reach in and pull out a handgun. His wife entered the room screaming for him to stop. He threw the gun back into the drawer and slammed the drawer shut. He then walked over to me very fast, bent his ® elbow up into my face and stated, "I can kill you with this," and proceeded to strike me in the face with his ® elbow. At this point I began to protect myself by trying to grab him but he slipped from my grip and ran towards the nightstand. This is when I chased him and began taking any and every action to keep him from getting his gun. During the altercation he had grabbed my throat and began choking, punching and scratching me, I then felt other people assisting me in taking him to the ground. Once on the ground we (R28/AMR) restrained him by holding him down until metro arrived. He continued to resist our efforts while yelling obscenities. I called dispatch on channel 6 to expedite metro because a man had pulled a gun and we were not code 4. R28 and AMR crews physically restrained him until metro’s arrival. Upon metro’s arrival they handcuffed him and asked me were the gun was located. I told them it was in the nightstands top drawer. The officer opened the drawer and found a 9mm handgun with a full magazine and one round in the chamber. After the incident, R28 and AMR crews were asked by metro to fill out an incident report. In addition, Metro took pictures of my injuries for their records. Once I had calmed down I could feel that I had some injuries to my ® hand/wrist, abrasions to my neck, jaw pain, difficulty swallowing and (L) elbow edema. Battalion 6, 271 and Capt. Randy Bradshaw were notified via cell phone. I felt it was in my best interest to seek medical attention due to being choked. Battalion 6 was informed that I was going to UMC trauma for evaluation. R28 transported me to UMC. I was released back to full duty with abrasions and strains. I am very grateful this incident concluded with a positive outcome. I have also learned a very valuable lesson, always be prepared for anything anytime. 


Always make situational awareness and scene safety your priorty on the must mundane calls.