11/23/1963 Golden Age nursing home Fitchville, OH fire killed sixty-three and injured twenty-five most were over 60 years old and many were invalids, in the 60-year-old former Norwood Chronic Hospital as a 4:00 a.m. flash fire spread rapidly through the building; firefighters were unable to rescue those trapped.
11/23/1898 a Cambridge, MA firefighter “died as a result of injuries he sustained November 10th, when he was caught under a collapsing wall while operating at a fire in a meat company icehouse.”
11/23/1925 a Waterbury, Ct firefighter “died after suffering complications due to smoke inhalation.”
11/23/1929 a Memphis, TN firefighter died “while operating at a fire involving the old Chamber of Commerce building. He went out to a fire escape to tighten a hose connection. As he exited the smoke-filled window, he plunged six floors to his death.”
11/23/1947 a Los Angeles, CA firefighter was killed, and two others injured in an early morning fire at the Harold Furniture Company, 1315 Wilshire Blvd. The fire appeared to be under control when a sudden flashover caught the firefighters just inside the front door.
11/23/1952 a New Haven, CT firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained after having fallen from a ladder.”
11/23/1967 a Boston, MA firefighter “died from smoke inhalation while working in the attic of a house at 49 Hartford Street, Roxbury, Box 1777 (Hartford & Wayland Streets) at 0246 hours… His death was responsible for the removal of the ‘All Service Masks’ from the department by Chief of the Department.”
11/23/1997 a Houma, Louisiana firefighter died from injuries he received “on November 18, 1997 after he entered a structure fire wearing breathing apparatus. He was seen later exiting the structure, still with an SCBA, when he collapsed and fell into the arms of another firefighter. Firefighters performed CPR on the scene, he was then taken to the hospital where he died several days later.”
11/23/2008 a Staten Island, NY (FDNY) firefighter “died at a 2nd– Alarm Box 0021 for 39 Van Buren. He and of his engine company responded to a structure fire in a residence. He and his crew were working in the attic of the structure when a collapse occurred. His helmet and facepiece were dislodged by the collapse. He was rescued and brought to the exterior by other firefighters. He was taken to the hospital but did not survive. The cause of death was smoke inhalation.”
11/23/2012 a gas explosion injured eighteen, including nine firefighters in Springfield, MA. Responders had evacuated part of the entertainment district and surrounding area prior to the natural gas explosion that leveled a strip club located next to a day care and heavily damaged a dozen other structures; the explosion blew out windows in a three-block radius, leaving at least three buildings irreparably damaged.
11/23/2016 an early-morning, off-campus house fire near the Southern Illinois University-Carbondale campus killed a male student in a two-story, wood, balloon-framed, single-family house that had been converted into a six-bedroom rooming house. The building was fully involved when the fire department arrived. The victim was found in a first-floor bedroom. There were no reports of smoke alarms sounding upon arrival fire department.
11/23/1983 a fire at the Travel Master Inn Motel located at 225 W. First Street in Dayton, Ohio killed one guest on the 4th-floor, injured over twenty and property damage exceeding $700,000. The rectangular mixed construction four-story building with a basement contained 66 guest rooms on the upper floors and a registration and lounge area on the ground level. The building’s fire detection and alarm system sounded earlier in the evening and was deactivated, by the clerk that investigated and discovered a trash can fire in the third-floor exit corridor and extinguished it with a portable fire extinguisher, and then did not reset the alarm because of residual smoke in the corridor. Two and a half hours later, a guest notified the desk clerk of a fire on the 3rd-floor, who called fire department at 4:01 a.m. Heavy smoke and fire conditions were observed by firefighters on the top two floors at the north end of the building, with about 25 guests awaiting rescue in many of the windows on all guest room levels. The cause of the fire remains undetermined.
11/23/1983 a five-alarm fire caused over $15 million damage to the University Hills Mall, a large shopping center in Denver, Colorado. A burglar alarm detected the “fire” at 12:22 a.m. in the concealed space above a drug store, apparently started from an electrical malfunction. The fire spread to the south in the unrestricted concealed attic spaces below the roof and above the suspended ceilings. Thirteen stores were destroyed, nineteen others were damaged. The completely enclosed mall was partially protected by a sprinkler system; originally built as an open-air shopping center without sprinkler protection or fire walls; sprinklers were provided in the mall when the shopping center was enclosed, and a line installed inside each store bordering the mall. 120 firefighters worked and controlled the fire at 6:00 a.m.
11/23/1910 Koch & Henke Store collapse in Cleveland, OH killed four. The store was gutted by fire several months ago.
11/23/1898 San Francisco, CA Baldwin Hotel fire claims two lives. “A fire which broke out in the east end of the building shortly after 3 o’clock this morning, supposedly in the property room of the Baldwin Theatre, totally destroyed the immense structure.”
11/23/1891 Old Homestead Hotel fire in Jamestown, NY leaves four dead. “The fire started from a range in the wooden kitchen, and the flames gutted the main building.”
11/23/1866 Keene, NH conflagration: around 5:30 p.m. a fire started in the cellar of a store on the west side of Central Square, and spread up the stairway of the four-story building. A cask containing Kerosene exploded scattering flames in every direction, among barrels of oil, dry, empty boxes and straw.