Two Antioch, California, firefighter suffered minor injuries from an electric shock while fighting a two-alarm house fire Sunday night. The shock came after firefighters had cut the structure’s main power.
Capt. George Laing, spokesman for the Contra Costa (Calif.) Fire Protection District, told the East Bay Times that both firefighters were treated and released. The firefighters had been standing in water when injured.
“They weren’t burned real bad, but the shocks caused their bodies to contort,” Laing said. “They are extremely lucky it wasn’t worse.”
A bypass in the home’s wiring caused the shock after the main breaker was turned off. The home’s owners and residents may face criminal charges.
“Power theft is a crime,” he said. “Injury to a firefighter as a result of that is a crime. … The responsible party is part of the investigation.”