8/28/1905 a Chicago, IL firefighter died “while fighting a barn fire at 5238 North Clark Street. Engine 79 was the first fire company on the scene, and the firefighter rushed into the burning barn after spectators mistakenly informed him that the barn foreman’s family was trapped in their residence on the third-floor of the structure. He was overcome by smoke while searching for the family, and his body was recovered by fellow firefighters several minutes after he entered the building.”
8/28/1911 a Connersville, IN firefighter “died instantly when he came into contact with a loose electrical wire while battling a barn fire.”
8/28/1929 two Streator, IL firefighters died after “the owner of the Kennedy Body Manufacturing Company, discovered a fire in his plant on Monroe Street in Streator, Illinois. The fire had started in a pile of wood shavings in the plant’s mill room and, by the time it was discovered, had already engulfed equipment and materials in the room. Kennedy briefly attempted to extinguish the blaze himself, before notifying the Streator Fire Department. Firefighters from the Streator Fire Department responded to the blaze, but the fire had already engulfed much of the plant, as the building’s wooden support girders and other interior materials facilitated the spread of the flames. Racing to contain the blaze, firefighters surrounded the building with hoselines to protect neighboring homes and businesses from the intense flames. The fire was so severe that a number of former volunteer firefighters (the Streator Fire Department switched from volunteer to career in 1910) arrived on-scene to assist with the firefighting efforts. Two firefighters were operating a hoseline at the northwest corner of the plant when the two-story northern wall of the plant collapsed outward. Trapped between the plant and the home of Anna Malloy, the two firefighters were crushed under several tons of bricks. Firefighters raced to dig out the two, but one firefighter later reported that the bricks were so hot that rescuers had to wait several minutes before they could start digging through the debris. Unfortunately, one firefighter had been killed instantly by the collapse and while other was still alive when he was pulled from the wreckage, he died within ten minutes of his rescue. The fire was eventually extinguished several hours later, having caused more than $50,000 in damage.”
8/28/1935 a Buffalo, NY firefighter died after “Rescue Squad 1 was dispatched to the Mann Brothers Linseed Oil Company at 352 Ohio St. around 11:00 a.m. Two workers had gone into a 12′ deep tank and collapsed. He donned his filter type mask and descended into the tank. He collapsed as he reached the bottom as well. A second firefighter of Rescue Squad 1 donned his filter type mask as well, but had a rope attached to his waste before descending. He too collapsed but was able to be pulled from the tank quickly and revived. He was taken to Emergency Hospital to recover. Additional units were dispatched to the scene. Crews used grappling hooks, pike poles and ropes to attempt a rescue of the firefighter and the two workers. After nearly a half hour, the three men were removed and pronounced deceased at the scene. The firefighter’s comrades disregarded the Doctors findings and continued resuscitation efforts using an inhalator to no avail. The men were given last rites by local parish priests.”
8/28/1967 a Hammond, IN firefighter “collapsed while operating in dense smoke at a residential basement fire. He was transported to St. Margaret Hospital where he died.”
8/28/2016 Escambia County Florida one person died after a nitrous oxide explosion at the Airgas Facility at the Ascend Performance Materials chemical plant in the 3000 block of Old Chemstrand Road shortly after the noon and released mustard-colored plume of smoke.
8/28/1988 an air-show accident burned sixty-nine spectators at the Ramstein Air Base in Germany.
8/28/1983 Santee, NE a propane gas explosion and fire injured ten, eight children, at the public school. The children were playing in a cloud of leaking propane gas and engulfed in a fireball when the vapors ignited that burned for eight hours and forced the evacuation of the community around 4:30 p.m. The propane leak occurred as a tanker truck driver was filling a 10,000-gallon underground storage tank for Santee’s public school. A crowd of children had gathered as a cloud of vapor formed, about 20 feet high and 50 feet around.
8/28/1947 Whiting, IN Standard Oil Company explosion killed one worker and caused the company to lose 24,000 barrels daily capacity in processing crude oil. The explosion and fire occurred in a pump house serving two pipe stills around 9:00 a.m.
8/28/1923 a conflagration destroyed 44 buildings and killed two in Hull, MA.
8/27/1915 San Francisco, CA at the Presidio a fire killed the wife and three daughters of General “Black-Jack” Pershing, the Commanding Officer of the 8th Infantry Brigade while he was transferred to Fort Bliss, Texas because of tension along the Mexican border. Mrs. Pershing and the four children remained at the Presidio the in family’s two-story Victorian house. “Coals spilled from the hearth of the Pershing home and onto the highly waxed floor” starting a fire that quickly spread through the home. Only five-year-old Warren survived. John Joseph “Black-Jack” Pershing (9/13/1860 to 7/15/1945) was the general in the United States Army who led the American Expeditionary Forces in Germany during World War I, 1917–18.
8/28/1909 Waverly, IA a canning factory goes up in flames causing severe economic impact to the community. “The fire started between the first and third filler and was caused by a large amount of gas which escaped from one of the cappers.”
8/28/1901 Philadelphia, PA the Steamboat City of Trenton boiler explosion and fire killed eleven.
8/28/1899 Sparkill, NY, St Agnes Convent and Orphanage fire killed five and injured many. The group of buildings, except the hospital burned, when fire was discovered about 1:00 a.m. in the lavatory at the NW corner of the group of buildings the Dominican Sisters’ Convent and Orphanage. “The fire spread with extraordinary swiftness through this arched hallway, which acted as a flue, and the flames were fanned by a northwest breeze which forced them onward in their destructive sweep.”