2/13/1895 three Lynn, MA firefighters died “while operating at a fire on the first and second floors of a four-story frame hardware store. The fire rapidly shot through the roof and the building collapsed, burying twelve firefighters under tons of burning debris. One injured firefighter was quickly removed, but the remaining eleven had to be dug out by hand. Mutual aid was called to the scene to help with the rescue efforts and also combat the fire, which had now spread to two exposures. Within a half-hour, the remaining men were removed. Three were killed and the remaining nine firefighters were seriously injured, one who had his right hand cut off by an axe.”
2/13/1901 an Appleton, WI firefighter “died of smoke inhalation at the Kimberly Clark Paper Mill fire.”
2/13/1909 Milwaukee, WI the Johns Manville Manufacturing Company fire killed five firefighters and injured about a dozen when the rear brick wall collapsed without warning at 225 Clybourne Street. “On arrival, firefighters found heavy fire showing from the first and second floors of a six-story brick asbestos factory. The building became fully involved in fire and firefighters fought the blaze from every available vantage point, including the roof of a piano factory to the rear. As firefighters attacked the fire, most of the front wall, from the second floor up, collapsed into the street. As the Assistant Chief went to the rear to get the men off the roof of the four-story piano factory, the rear wall of the fire building collapsed onto it, carrying numerous firefighters down through the top two floors of the structure. The dead and injured had to be lowered from the upper floor windows by ropes. Five members of the MFD were killed in the collapse of the wall and another member of Engine 19 was critically injured. He died February 15th as a result of injuries sustained. It was discovered that the two top floors of the asbestos plant were added on just several years before the fatal fire. The fire started when a worker was heating a “fireproof” varnish for coating pipes on a stove, and the container exploded, showering him with the flaming product. He ran from the building engulfed in flames prior to the arrival of firefighters.”
2/13/1912 a Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighter died as a result of injuries he sustained while operating at an alarm.
2/13/1914 a Duluth, MN firefighter died at a fire in a two-story hide and skin warehouse. “He was operating with his company in heavy smoke on the second floor, when he suddenly collapsed into the arms of his captain. Thinking that he was overcome by smoke, the captain enlisted the aid of several other firefighters to carry him to a window for air. Being unable to revive him, the men carried their fallen comrade from the burning building and took him into a candy factory across the street. Even after his pronouncement, fellow firefighters still worked to revive him, to no avail.”
2/13/1922 a Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died of smoke inhalation after returning to quarters , after operating at a fire at 104 Lenox Avenue.”
2/13/1923 a Franklin, NH firefighter died while fighting a fire at the New Hampshire Orphans Home. At 3:30 a.m. Box 14 was sounded for a building fire. “There were sixty-one children in the nursery building, all under seven years of age. All were saved, and no injuries were reported among them. Firefighters, including the victim, were playing a stream into the nursery and were about to put up a ladder against the wall when it collapsed without warning. Because of the deep snow, the men had no chance to run from the falling bricks and were buried beneath the debris.”
2/14/1934 a El Paso, TX firefighter died from burn injuries he received during a flashover at the Old American Furniture Company warehouse fire. The building nearly burned to the ground was located across the street from Fire Station 9. He along with two other firefighters, were caught in a flashover. “Since then, firefighters who have worked at Station 9 speak of strange things that happen in the station. One of the oddest is that usually right before a big fire in the area occurs, the firefighters are signaled that it is coming.”
2/13/1939 a Detroit, MI firefighter “died from the effects of smoke inhalation that he had suffered the day before while fighting a house fire on Hickory Avenue.”
2/13/1939 a San Francisco, CA firefighter died of injuries he received at the Desk Company fire, at 601 Mission.
2/13/1957 a Brooklyn, New York (FDNY) firefighter died as a result of injuries sustained while operating at a two-alarm fire at Rockaway Avenue and Pacific Streets.
2/13/1971 two Chicago, IL firefighters died while “fighting a fire inside the building housing A. A. Englebart, Inc., a heating control and appliance dealer, when an explosion erupted, and the one-story building collapsed. Five other firefighters and four civilians were injured in the explosion and collapse. Firefighters were battling flames in the rear of the building when the explosion occurred. Some of the firefighters were blown out of the building by the explosion, and one firefighter reported that the force of the blast blew off some of his gear. The explosion demolished most of the building, scattering debris into the streets and neighboring apartments, and civilians more than one block away were treated for cuts from flying glass.”
2/13/2016 a train trestle fire cuts Amtrak route west of New Orleans, LA in Saint Charles Parish. Firefighters used helicopters and airboats to fight the fire on a train trestle that was reported around 8:00 a.m. The trestle also carries four to eight freight trains a day.
2/13/2016 a fire engulfed a building set to be Central Asia’s tallest tower while it was still under construction in Kazakhstan in the Kazakh capital of Astana. When the fire department arrived, floors 11 to 25 were actively burning, in the 88-story, 1,250-foot-tall, tower. It took firefighters six hours to control the fire that is believed to have started on the 25th floor.
2/13/2010 Flint, MI four children ages one, two, three, and four-years-old were killed in an apartment fire that started from unattended cooking.
2/13/2010 Phelan, AL a house fire killed four that started from a small heater placed too close to a bed.
2/13/2005 the 32-story, 348’, Windsor Building in Madrid, Spain, caught fire and burned for two days; the building was completely engulfed in flames at one point. “The fire was first detected on the 21st floor and spread quickly throughout the entire building, leading to the collapse of the outermost, steel parts of the upper floors.”
2/13/1983, seventy-four people were killed when a fire blazed through a cinema in Turin, Italy at the Statuto Cinema. A fire started on the ground floor and quickly spread to seats covered in plastic that produced toxic smoke. The crowd panicked causing a stampede that crushed several people to death.
2/13/1975 Peoria, IL a fire on the seventh floor of the nine-story Howard Johnson’s Motor Lodge forced the evacuation of 119 guests. The fire was confined to the room of origin; however, the door to the room was left open allowing smoke and heat to travel into the seventh-floor corridor creating an evacuation problem, also permitting smoke to enter one stair and migrate to the 8th and 9th floors.
2/13/1939 Bellefonte, PA High School fire, nine-hundred students fled coatless as fire swept the four-story brick high school building in the town’s residential district. Firefighters were unable to control the blaze which started in the boiler room and spread to the ventilating system, quickly filling classrooms with smoke. No one was injured.
2/13/1936 Lum’s Chinese Restaurant fire in New York City, NY killed five and injured forty-one, panic rather than flames that caused the deaths, flames swept through the second-floor restaurant at 735 Lexington Avenue that started in a ground floor haberdashery.
2/13/1895 Elwood, Indiana a gas explosion destroyed a city block and injured three in the very early hour of the morning.
2/13/1885 eighteen of the 685 patients died fire at the Blackley alms house (an insane asylum) in Philadelphia, PA on the west side of the Schuylkill River. The fire originated in the north 145’ X 60’ wing of in the old portion on the east side of the main building containing sixty separate cells for violent patients, twenty on each floor.
2/13/1799 the first state-level insurance regulatory act passed in Massachusetts.