11/24/1848 a Toronto, Ontario, Canada firefighter “died from injuries he received while operating a fire in a block of stores on King Street just east of Church Street. The fire had started in Mr. Webb’s shoe store and spread. He was struck in the head and lost a lot of blood. After medical attention, he was sent home and he died on November 24th.”
11/24/1879 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter “died from injuries received by a falling wall at Orthodox and Hedge Street.”
11/24/1889 after being caught in a wall collapse during a six-alarm fire at the Janney Andrews Wholesale Grocery at 121-123 Market Street Philadelphia, PA one firefighter died, and seventeen others were injured.
11/24/1906 a Chicago, IL firefighter “was asphyxiated while working at Lehigh Coal Co., at 100th St. & Calumet River, four-alarm coal yard fire.”
11/24/1937 a Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died in Knickerbocker Hospital from the effects of inhaling carbon tetrachloride the day before. The fire at 10:15 in the morning was at 688 to 690 Eleventh Avenue. He did not become ill until reaching home that night and died in the hospital the following night.”
11/24/1943 a Grand Rapids, MI firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained when a section of a brick wall collapsed on him as he was operating the pumper truck, at the Berkey-Gray Furniture Company fire, on Monroe Avenue. He was transported to Butterworth Hospital where he was declared deceased.”
11/24/1959 a Detroit, MI firefighter was killed after suffering smoke inhalation in a building explosion while searching for a child trapped in a house fire at 4907 Ogden.
11/24/1969 a Sandusky, Ohio firefighter died when a smokestack collapsed during a fire at the Volunteers of America at the corner of Putnam and Adams.
11/24/1991 a Newark, New Jersey firefighter “died during the overhaul phase of an afternoon fire at 21 Spencer Street.”
11/24/1998 two Parsons, Kansas firefighters died when an “aluminum ladder made contact with an electrical service line, resulting in the fatal electrocution of both firefighters and injury to one additional firefighter. A painting contractor found that their ladders were not long enough to reach the upper portion of the church. A representative of the church contacted the city hall and requested an aerial ladder. After an assessment by the fire chief, a reserve pumper was sent to the scene to allow for the use of its ground ladders. The two firefighters were assisting with the positioning of a ladder on the exterior of a church that was being painted. The firefighters were positioning the ladder since it was too cumbersome for the two painters to position by themselves.”
11/24/2008 a City of New York (FDNY) firefighter “was fatally injured while operating at a second-alarm fire at 39 Van Buren St. in the New Brighton neighborhood of Staten Island. He was transported to Richmond University Medical Center on Staten Island, where he succumbed to his injuries.”
11/24/2012 a Bangladesh garment factory fire killed 112 in a building had that had no emergency exits. The fire raced through the eight-story garment factory that supplies major retailers Tazreen Fashions Ltd., a subsidiary of the Tuba Group. Tuba made products for Wal-Mart and other companies in the U.S. and Europe. Tazreen was given a “high risk” safety rating after a May 16, 2011, audit conducted by an “ethical sourcing” assessor for Wal-Mart. Bangladesh has some 4,000 garment factories, many without proper safety measures. The country annually earns about $20 billion from exports of garment products, mainly to the U.S. and Europe.
11/24/1999 a ferry sank and killed over 300 in the Yellow Sea off the coast of China. “The ship had caught fire while during a storm and nearly everyone on board perished, including the captain.”
11/24/1980 one hundred-five people were killed by a liquefied petroleum gas explosion and 24 homes were destroyed in Danaciobasi, Turkey.
11/24/1911 in Liverpool, NY a mill boiler explosion killed thirty-three workers and upward of one-hundred others were injured of the nearly 400 workers in the building at the time. “The force of the explosion was so terrific that the roof of the great mill was blown off, while the walls split and crumbled, and the bodies of the victims hurtled high into the air, mingling with the flashes of flame which instantly followed the bursting of the boilers.”
11/24/1875 the Peterborough, NH machine shop of Granville P. Felt was destroyed by fire.
11/24/1838 the Steamer General Brown exploded killing fifty-five near Louisville, KY.