1/20/1880 a Brooklyn, New York firefighter died in a 7:00 a.m. fire that a broke out at old Bushwich Avenue in Otto Huber’s Brewery. “The fire was under control in a half hour. Without any warning one end of the building collapsed. Six firefighters, including the victim, were buried in debris. Firefighters worked to rescue them. All of them were recovered except one. He was finally recovered he was taken to St. Catherine’s Hospital where he died 6 days.”
1/20/1917 a Seattle, Washington firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained after having fallen while fighting a fire at the Grand Theater on Cherry Street. He was severely burned and suffering from other injuries, but still alive when he was found. He expired in the ambulance from shock and burn trauma.”
1/20/1931 a Boston, MA firefighter died from the inhalation of smoke, heat and gases suffered at 126-132 High Street (Box 1291), downtown, during a three-alarm fire.
1/20/1933 a Cranston Heights, DE firefighter “died from the injuries he sustained while operating at a house fire in the Brookland Terrace neighborhood.”
1/20/1959 a Villages of Bement, IL firefighter died during an ice storm while he was operating on a ladder at a suspected garage fire when the wind blew a broken, live electrical wire, into the ladder. He was electrocuted, and succumbed to his injuries.
1/20/1961 a Boston, MA firefighter died from inhalation of smoke, heat and gas at a basement fire in a night-club, ‘Bason Street South’, at 1844-46 Washington Street, Box 211, in the south-end, during a two-alarm fire. He was found in the basement under a table, after becoming disoriented.
1/20/1961 a Queens, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died as a result of injuries sustained while operating at a two-alarm fire.”
1/20/1962 a Chicago, IL firefighter “was killed while fighting a fire in a vacant apartment building at 855 W. Belden Avenue. He was overcome by smoke and collapsed while moving a hose line into the basement of the building.”
1/20/1987 an Altoona, Pennsylvania firefighter died from smoke inhalation
1/20/1997 a Terlton, Oklahoma firefighter “died of thermal burns while rescuing two children from an overturned dune buggy.”
1/20/2003 a Dry Run, Fannett Township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, firefighter “died in a fire in a large residential fire. During overhaul firefighters moved into the structure to locate and extinguish hot spots. A number of firefighters were in the structure, when a centrally located chimney collapsed and brought down the second floor of the structure onto firefighters. Three firefighters were trapped by the collapse; one was able to self-extricate. One firefighter was removed and suffered minor injuries. The third firefighter was severely injured, he was found to be without a pulse and not breathing.”
1/20/2005 a Summit Township, Jackson, Michigan firefighter “died while searching the upper floor of the residence without a handline. After firefighters had been on-scene for approximately 20 minutes, fire conditions deteriorated rapidly and trapped two firefighters. The victim ran out of air and was attempting to buddy-breathed with the firefighter when he fell to the floor. The fire was caused by spontaneous combustion of oil-soaked rags that had been stored in the basement of the home. Three other firefighters were injured during the fire.”
1/20/2014 Omaha, Nebraska a plant explosion, triggering a partial building collapse that killed two and injured ten. A spokesperson for the federal Occupational Health and Safety Administration said that the agency had cited the company in the past for six violations involving electrical safety standards and machine guarding, which protects workers from losing limbs or being crushed.
1/20/2009 Baltimore, MD a 65-year-old woman, her 24- and 14-year-old granddaughters, and her two-year-old great-granddaughter died in a home fire, there were no smoke alarms in the house.
1/20/2004 a nursing (retirement) home fire in Maryville, TN killed three and injured twelve residents’ hours after passing a surprise inspection. Built before 1997 in a converted one-floor house, the nursing home was not required to have sprinklers.
1/20/1983 a fire at the Jefferson Dormitory on the campus of the College of William and Mary, in Williamsburg, Virginia destroyed the entire West Wing of the building, the attic and roof, and caused extensive damage to the East wing of the structure at 1:13 a.m. Prompt use of the manual fire alarm system and quick evacuation of 184 occupants resulted in no injuries. The fire spread non-fire-stopped, non-sprinklered combustible concealed spaces, in the sprinklered building. After 1-½ hours of interior fire-fighting efforts crews withdrew when the floor of the corridor on the first floor collapsed and cracks formed in the exterior bearing walls.
1/20/1980 the Phillips refinery near Borger, TX was destroyed by a hydrocarbon explosion and fire that damaged the industrial area and some nearby homes.
1/20/1980 bleachers at a bullring in Sincelejo, Colombia, collapse killed 222 and hundreds more were injured during a bullfight; the collapse was the result of overcrowding and poor construction.
1/20/1910 the north side of the town square of Snyder, TX was destroyed by fire that started in the upper floor of grocery store around 6:00 a.m.
1/20/1908 the City Hall and police station of Portland, Maine burned to the ground and endangered the lives of 700 persons attending the Pythian Jubilee.
1/20/1898 East Grand Forks, ND conflagration destroyed “the finest saloons in the city, a transfer elevator and the bridge approach” just before 4:00 a.m.
1/20/1907 Norfolk, VA a creosote plant was destroyed by fire when a spark from a locomotive of the Norfolk and Western Railway set fire to grass near the plant. “Seventy-five thousand gallons of creosoting fluid in the tanks exploded and 2,500 barrels of the oil were consumed.”