FIRE THURSDAY EVENING IN A DETROIT, MICHIGAN, residential hotel killed two residents as the 3-alarm fire gutted the five-story building.
Investigators say that an inebriated tenant tried to light a cigarette with a piece of burning paper, but was unsuccessful and dropped the blazing scrap on his bed where it ignited the sheets. The room was quickly engulfed and when he opened the door to flee into the hallway around 8:30 pm, the fire followed and spread throughout the floor.
Besides the two fatalities, a third person is in critical condition and a fourth, a wheelchair patient who lived in the apartment directly over the point of origin, is still unaccounted for. Two firefighters were injured, suffering from 2nd-degree burns and a back injury.