On Saturday May 2, 2009 Milton Fire-Rescue, Milton Police, and Frisbie Memorial Hospital EMS responded to a 911 dispatch of a male, unconscious and not breathing. Upon arrival, the 40 year old male was found deceased in a basement bedroom of his home. Family members indicated that the deceased was experiencing “flu-like” symptoms prior to his collapse. Another resident in the home was also complaining of “flu-like” symptoms. Frisbie Hospital Paramedics immediately contacted their supervisor to request current medical protocol for H1N1 flu. While on the phone with their supervisor, the paramedics’ carbon monoxide meter alarmed. The level of carbon monoxide that was recorded was 800 parts per million (PPM). All occupants of the building were immediately evacuated, including all First Responders. Carbon monoxide oximetry was assessed on everyone who had been inside the building and all were positive for exposure. Two of the First Responders were positive despite having been in the building for a very short period of time. All occupants with elevated carbon monoxide levels were treated on scene and one was transported to Frisbie.
Lessons Learned: Single gas CO meters on EMS bags alerted crew to dangerous environment. CO is a danger we have to protect our responders from.