As of 0315 hours 1 Firefighter was at Doctors Medical Center being treated for burns. The other, who suffered "significant burns", was transported by a critical care ambulance to UC Medical Center in Davis. A helicopter to transport the Firefighter couldn’t fly because of weather conditions, according to MFD staff.
The positive news is that both Firefighters were conscious and talking to fire personnel.
There was no electricity in the home, and that the occupant was using a gasoline generator for power. The generator ran out of gas, and while attempting to refill it, and using a candle for light, the occupant dropped the candle, causing the fire.
When fire companies arrived on the scene, they began their operations, and attacked the fire from the inside. The fire had started in the garage, and while operating, 2 Firefighters went to the roof to vertically ventilate the house. Shortly after, there was a catastrophic failure of the roof and the 2 Firefighters fell through. A mayday was reported and the intervention crew had both members out within a couple of minutes. A spokes person from the MFD stated that said the intensity of the heat caused the roof to collapse significantly sooner than usual, adding that he was told by crew member that he had never seen a roof fail in that short amount of time. BELOW is a link to more information, photos and video of the fire.