While responding to a grass fire, the Nixon fire chief suffered an electric shock and was hospitalized after coming in contact with a live electrical wire.
Interim City Manager Harold Rice said the Nixon Volunteer Fire Department was called out to a grass fire on Friday about 2 miles west of Nixon on Highway 87. While responding to the fire, Nixon Fire Chief Mark Mendez came in contact with a live electrical wire.
Mendez was transported to the hospital in critical, but stable condition. He is expected to survive and make a recovery.