By Tom Joyce, Mount Airy News:
Two firefighters suffered injuries while fighting an accidental blaze at a pet resort on U.S. 52-North which caused $400,000 in damages and required the services of multiple departments to extinguish.
“It was a pretty big deal,” Mount Airy Fire Chief Zane Poindexter said Friday of the Thursday evening incident at the Woof! resort, which many local residents might remember as the former site of the Mayberry Cinema movie theater. It is located at 502 N. Andy Griffith Parkway between the Coaches restaurant and Mount Airy Toyota.
In addition to the movie theater, the facility has been home to an antique mall and several other businesses over the years, before recently housing the Woof! resort. It is described as a “boutique doggie” establishment offering services such as boarding and grooming.
No animals were harmed due to the commercial structure blaze, the fire chief said.
Read the full story here.