By Katie Tabeling, Cecil Whig:
Two firefighters from Aetna Hose Hook & Ladder Company in Newark, Del., were transported to Christiana Hospital for injuries sustained from fighting a fire that ripped through a single-story house Sunday.
No residents were injured in the accidental fire that started from unattended cooking, according to the Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal. The brick home was gutted, however, displacing the occupants, Will and Caitlin Nieves, who are being assisted by family.
Heavy smoke was seen coming out of the house at 1750 Appleton Road around 12:45 p.m. Sunday. By the time Singerly Volunteer Fire Company and Aetna Hose Hook & Ladder arrived at the scene, the family was already on the front lawn.
One firefighter sustained minor burns while another firefighter injured a rib, according to Aetna Deputy Chief Jeff Sands. Both firefighters were treated and released from Christiana Hospital hours later.
Read the full story here.