While firefighters were actively fighting a residential structure fire the afternoon of Saturday, November 25, 2017, personnel heard a loud whistling sound immediately followed by a crash. It was determined that a large section of copper piping that was connected to an outdoor faucet had dislodged under pressure from the fire building and traveled approximately 48 feet, striking the garage door on a neighboring home. The projectile tore a large hole in the garage door.
Firefighters were working just a few feet from where this occurred, including a crew that had just minutes before verified that the gas to the building was off. The gas meter was located next to the faucet. Thankfully, no one was in the path of the pipe when it blew out of the building.
Lessons learned: Always expect the unexpected.