Investigators, police and fire officials in the Canadian providence of Ontario are trying to find those responsible for an 18-month-long string of suspicious fires in a rural county. Fire officials are concerned firefighters or civilians will be hurt if the rash of fires continues.
So far there have been 20 fires to mostly historic, abandon buildings in or near Guelph County; all have started just before sunrise, officials told Guelph Today.
While no firefighters have been injured yet, officials know each fire represents a threat for on-scene or en-route injuries.
The fires have also drained firefighting resources. Fire crews battled three new fires this past Thursday morning. Those fires were similar to the others.
Officials are still working to determine if the fires are linked and what the motive for setting them could be.
“In our county, I haven’t seen something like this, and I started here 10 years ago,” Cst. Marylou Schwindt, media relations and community safety officer with Wellington County OPP told Guelph Today. “For number and type of fires, this is unusual. Which is why they are looking at a link between them.”