Parents of Lt. Jack Rose, 19, agreed to accept a $400,000 settlement to end their suit over Rose’s December 2015 death in a structure fire.
Rose was a volunteer on the Mount Marion (N.Y.) Fire Department when he went with an attack crew into the basement. Rose became separated from the group. Despite being found and rushed to a hospital, he died as a result of inhaling super-heated gasses, according to the Times Herald-Record.
Investigators determined the fire was started by a wood-burning stove, which lawyers for Rose’s parents argued was installed without the proper building and use permits.
The state’s labor department cited Mount Marion and Centerville fire departments for breaking 14 safety regulations in connection with the fatal fire. Centerville was in command of the incident. One of those violations was that Rose had used a Centerville SCBA during the fire; it was a different make than Mount Marion’s SCBA and one that Rose had not been trained on.