By Jamie Leary, CBS Denver:
Firefighter Kyle Chavez is being credited with saving the lives of his neighbors after their house caught fire early Monday morning.
“I was waking up, getting ready for work, and I saw a fire through the window,” said Chavez, a wildland firefighter with the Platte Canyon Fire Protection District.
Chavez, 21, was up early getting ready for work when he spotted the flames coming from his neighbor’s home. He rushed through his backyard, jumped a fence and began knocking on the windows and doors. He was shocked to find people still inside. Even more so when he heard a child screaming.
“I could hear him screaming, so that’s why it just snapped,” he said.
Chavez said at that point, he wasn’t going anywhere but in the house. He says the boy’s panicked mother pointed him to a smoke-filled back bedroom.
Read the full story here.