Monday, February 4, 2013
A Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. firefighter received a second-degree
burn to the hand after a Saturday morning chimney fire in the Smithsburg
area flashed up the chimney, Longmeadow Fire Chief Jason Eckstine said.
volunteer firefighter was taken to Meritus Medical Center and was
released about four hours later, Eckstine said. It will be a couple of
days before the firefighter returns to service, Eckstine said Sunday.
Longmeadow was assisting Smithsburg
Community Volunteer Fire Co. on a chimney fire call in the 13200 block
of Edgemont Road shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday, according to an email
from James Ulrich, chief of operations for Smithsburg Emergency Medical
Services. Edgemont Road is northeast of Smithsburg.
the wounded firefighter was working on the roof. The chimney had gotten
clogged and when the obstruction was broken free, the fire flashed on
the firefighter’s hand, said Eckstine, who was not on the call.
400+ PAGES. 90+ CONTRIBUTORS!
100% of the royalties from the sales of "PASS IT ON" will be donated to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and the Chief Ray Downey Scholarship Fund.
CLICK ABOVE TO ORDER YOUR COPIES TODAY!