Thursday, April 19, 2012
Pittsburgh firefighter suffered a broken hand this morning while battling a blaze at a Beltzhoover home that was cluttered with debris. No one was inside the home on Curtin Avenue when the fire was reported just before 9 a.m. Firefighters instead found the house full of smoke and clutter. The injured firefighter broke his hand and suffered cuts climbing through the detritus, Battalion Chief Terry Cerchiaro said. The firefighter was taken to UPMC Mercy for treatment. The fire started on the first floor. Arson investigators believe the blaze was the result of an electrical problem, Chief Cerchiaro said. He described the debris as maze-like with narrow walkways. "If there were walkways at all," he added. "It makes it dangerous for us."