by NBC 10 NEWSFriday, February 7th 2020
New Bedford Fire Department. (WJAR)
New Bedford Fire Chief Paul Coderre Jr. and Mayor Jon Mitchell announced Friday that the city will end their “blackout policy” for their fire stations.
The decision comes after criticism over the policy arose after two fatal fires in the city.
Chief Coderre said the blackouts will end starting in March, which had been in effect since 2009.
However, by ending the blackouts, city leaders said fiscal pressures will force them to shut down Station 11.
The chief said they considered funding all 10 fire companies, but operating all the companies would cost the city nearly $3 million a year.