An early-morning fire investigators believe was ignited by a space heater left one person dead and seven others injured, including one firefighter, after erupting in a Mid-City neighborhood hotel Friday.
Emergency crews were called to the two-story building in the 8600 block of Venice Boulevard when the fire broke out just after 2 a.m., Los Angeles Fire Department Assistant Chief Jaime Moore said.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke and fire on the first floor of the building as residents were trying to escape.
The responding firefighters split up, with some battling the blaze and others helping residents evacuate, Moore said.
“Individuals were actually breaking out windows and going through their windows to escape the fire,” he said.
One firefighter was being evaluated for a non-life threatening respiratory issue, according to the news release.
Read the full story here.