A major fire broke out in a shop near Pazhavangadi – the densely populated commercial area of the state capital, triggering huge panic in the area on Tuesday morning.
The incident occurred around 9 am and smoke started billowing from the two-storey Chellam Umbrella Mart building near Over Bridge. Around four shops and a house were gutted in the fire and the loss was estimated to be around Rs 1 crore.
As any as 24 fire fighting vehicles were pressed into service to put out the fire. Over 140 fire officials swung into action soon after a call came to the emergency number of fire department. It took around three to four hours for the fire-fighters to bring the situation under control. Fire fighting vehicles were mobilized from different fire stations for the gigantic exercise.The fire fighting vehicle – ‘Panther’ – with five crew members, was brought from the airport for the operation. While the reason for the fire is yet to be ascertained, a section of officials said it could be short circuit as there was a burnt generator in the godown.
“A detailed probe would be initiated to find out the reason behind the fire. It’s illegal to have godowns in busy urban centres,” said Kerala Fire and Rescue Services Director General A Hemachandran.
Read the full story here.