Kansas City, Mo – Fireworks are believed to be the cause of a house fire that injured two Kansas City firefighters.
It happened early Thursday morning at a home near 33rd and Bales. A firework device hit the back part of the home and then smoldered for hours.
“We have outlawed fireworks in Kansas City, Missouri for a reason,” said Dep. Chief Jimmy Walker, KCFD. “An urban environment, with homes closely packed together, and these old homes, they’re tinder-boxes. They’re ready to go.”
The firefighters suffered burns on their ears and necks.
Despite the citywide ban, people continue to flout the law.
“(Fireworks are) going off all the time, since the beginning of the month,” said Andre Buford, who lives close to the home that caught fire.
Charles Kelso, the 72-year-old man who lives in the home, says he would be dead if he had not chosen to sleep on a couch on his front porch.