BRISTOL – Two Bristol volunteer firefighters were injured Monday night while fighting a fire that caused extensive damage to a home at 87 Beach Road. Fire crews were called to the scene around 7 p.m. by a neighbor of owner William Maisano, who was not home at the time. Investigators believe a heat gun he was using several hours earlier sparked the fire, which apparently smoldered for some time before catching. By the time fire crews arrived on the scene, the fire had spread through the second floor and ceiling of the two-story brick home. Firefighters cut through several walls as well as the home’s roof to get to the flames. “Flames were up inside the walls and we had to tear them out,” said Chief Martin. “It was a stubborn fire.” Chief Martin would not identify the two firefighters injured, but said they were injured when they fell off of a ladder trying to access the fire. Both suffered minor injuries, he said, and were taken to Rhode Island Hospital via ambulance. “Both had some bumps and bruises, that’s all,” said Chief Martin. “They’re home and doing fine. The guys did a superb job.” The Providence Fire Department also lent its support to Bristol firefighters, sending a canteen truck to the scene. Mr. Maisano, who spends winters in Florida and summers here in Bristol, could not be reached for comment.