WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Winston-Salem Fire said at least one firefighter was injured during a fire at the Quality Inn.
Fire crews evacuated the rooms Tuesday night at the Quality Inn located on Akron Drive. Winston-Salem Fire said the fire started on the hotel’s third floor and was contained to one room. A malfunctioning HVAC unit caused the fire. Firefighters evacuated about 22 people. Many were moved into a conference room on the first floor where there was no smoke.
The fire department says they walked through the hotel to make sure it was safe to go back inside. A battalion chief says the most damage was done to the room on the third floor where the fire started.
However, smoke lingered on the third floor and up. The hotel is eight stories. The hotel’s manager worked to help those impacted by the fire.
Winston-Salem Fire said the firefighter got a minor back injury doing regular firefighter activities.