9/14/1815 the first use of gooseneck piping for fire engines was reported in Boston, MA.
9/14/1875 three Manhattan, New York (FDNY) firefighters died during a “public demonstration that was held of the first aerial ladders in the FDNY. Four, eight – section, 97- foot, Scott Uda aerials, which had been built by the Concord Wagon Co. in Concord, NH, were purchased for $16,000 from Mrs. Marie Belle Scott-Uda. One of the aerials was raised to its full height and seven firefighters climbed it, spacing themselves up the ladder. Without warning, the ladder snapped about 30 feet up, pitching all seven men to the ground, killing three of them. Two firefighters were killed instantly as they hit the cobblestones. The third firefighter also hit the street and died shortly after as he gasped for air. It was determined that the Fire Commission Secretary had made a deal with Uda to purchase the patent for the aerial if the city bought the aerials from them. It was further discovered that the ladders were of inferior materials and workmanship. During the very first demonstration at the City Hall, there were difficulties in raising a similar ladder, and it broke in half injuring two men. The ladders were placed in storage for ten years and never used.”
9/14/1930 a Los Angeles, CA firefighter died after responding to a furniture wholesaler at 919 East Pico Boulevard at 4:44 p.m. “Daniel Gonzales, age 5, one of the several youngsters who had been playing in the elevator shaft, clinging to an interior window ledge. The boy was critically injured when squeezed between the elevator cage and the shaft. Truck 11 raised a 50-foot Bangor ladder, brought the boy down and he was rushed to Central Receiving Hospital. The firefighter was assured that all other youngsters had fled the building and was preparing to leave when he was told that another boy was trapped in the shaft. He went back inside and, while looking up the shaft, slipped and fell head-first 15-feet to the concrete floor of the elevator pit. He died at 9:10 that evening of skull fractures. The report that a second youngster was in the shaft proved to be false.”
9/14/1945 three Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada firefighters were killed fighting a fire in the McMaster Building on Homer Street. The fire went to three alarms and they were buried in the collapse.
9/14/2002 a Muscatine, IA firefighter died at a structure fire in a 3-story multifamily residence. “The first firefighters on the scene reported light smoke showing. The first and second floors were clear, but firefighters encountered heavy heat and smoke conditions that prevented their entry to the third floor. The order to ventilate the roof was given. He and the other firefighter ascended to the roof of the structure in the platform of the aerial tower. The firefighter was not wearing an SCBA, the second firefighter was wearing an SCBA. When they arrived at the roof, both firefighters got off the platform. The other firefighter completed the roof cut with a chain saw but did not open up the roof. Due to the smoke conditions on the roof, he had been covering his face with his hands. When the roof cut was complete, the firefighter pulled on the other firefighter’s arm and indicated that they urgently needed to get off the roof. As both firefighters headed for the aerial tower platform, he fell to his hands and knees. The other firefighter attempted to grab him and lead him to the platform, but he was unsuccessful. At this point, the firefighter turned on his back and fell through the roof into the fire area. Firefighters in the interior of the structure heard radio transmissions indicating that he had fallen through the roof. They fought their way into the third floor of the structure. The firefighter was located and removed from the fire area. He was then brought outside the structure approximately 9 minutes after falling through the roof. He was immediately transported to the hospital. The cause of death was listed as smoke inhalation.”
9/14/2015 Indonesia declares a state of emergency as brush-fire smoke chokes the region. Smoke from fires in southern Sumatra pushed air quality to unhealthy levels across the narrow straits in Singapore and Malaysia sickening thousands of people.
9/14/2014 a grain-dust explosion at Nestle Purina plant near Flagstaff, AZ injured four after dust produced during the food making process ignited, the explosion blew out several metal doors burning four contractors.
9/14/1907 Rock Springs, WY a mine explosion injured forty.
9/14/1900 Anaconda, Montana the Stewart Mine explosion killed two.
9/14/1895 Cincinnati, OH a riverfront candle factory was destroyed by a fire believed to be incendiary on the southeast corner of Vine and Water Streets.