6/10/1885 a San Francisco, CA firefighter “sustained a lacerated left hand from a falling rafter during a fire at the Bun Sun Low Restaurant, at 629 Jackson Street. He died at home from tetanus or lock jaw.”
6/10/1921 a Terre Haute, IN firefighter died while “operating at a house fire at 3105 North 13th ½ Street. While preforming an interior attack, a chimney and roof had collapsed on him and three other firefighters. He was transported to Saint Elizabeth Hospital where he later died from the injuries he sustained.”
6/10/1939 two Madison, WI firefighters died while they “were attacking a basement fire from the main floor stairway at the Mary Ann Bake Shop, 602 South Park Street, when the floor collapsed. The collapse was blamed on a 15-ton bakery oven which had improperly overloaded the floor along with a weakening of the floor supports due to the fire below. The men were crushed by the oven as they toppled with it into the basement.”
6/10/1974 two Somerville, MA firefighters “were killed when they were caught under a collapsing wall while operating at a 5-alarm fire at the Arrow Paper Company. At 8:20 p.m. Box 21 was sounded for a fire in the Arrow Paper warehouse at Harding Street the two firefighters died when the rear (north side) wall collapsed.”
6/10/1995 two Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas firefighters “were killed while fighting a fire at an oil refinery in Addington, Oklahoma. The firefighters had responded in a P-19 crash truck to assist local fire departments with suppression efforts. The fire was located in an oil storage tank and had been caused by a lightning strike. The firefighters were killed when several thousand gallons of burning oil boiled over the side of the tank, trapping their crash truck in a mixture of oil and mud. They attempted to flee on foot but were overrun by the flow of oil and died of massive burns.”
6/10/2017 a Dolton, IL firefighter “died while fighting structure fire in nearby Harvey, Illinois. Initial reports are that the firefighter was operating and collapsed on scene. Immediate lifesaving attempts were made but they unfortunately were not successful.”
6/10/1990 a propane fire fueling a portable cooking grill in a function room at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Cambridge, Massachusetts left one dead and twenty injured in the fire resistive, nonsprinklered hotel that was constructed in the late 1960’s. The building had two sections; an11-story high-rise portion with guest rooms, and a 3-story low-rise section that contained the lobby, restaurants, kitchens, meeting rooms, a large assembly hall, and other function rooms. A large decorative stair ran from the first-floor lobby to a large third floor function room (the room of origin). The fire started when propane gas was accidentally released from a 20-pound cylinder fueling a portable cooking grill in violation of local city ordinances and NFPA 58, Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code. “A private party with around 90 guests was being held in the third-floor function room. There was a live band, and food was being prepared on a propane gas grill. A sudden release of propane occurred when a hotel employee was dismantling the grill.
6/10/1912 Madisonville, TX the business section of the town was damaged by a fire that started around 1:00 a.m.
6/10/1905 the 1st forest fire lookout tower was staffed at Squaw Mountain, ME.
6/10/1854 Newport, KY a sawmill boiler explosion caused extensive damage around 9:00 a.m. “The great force of the explosion seemed to be upward and westwardly. The west end and south side of the mill were shivered to pieces. Eleven men were working in the mill at the time, a number of children were in the immediate vicinity, and though brick and fragments of iron and wood were hurled in every direction, no one was killed, and only one person was seriously hurt.
6/10/1971 eleven died in a train crash in Salem, Illinois.