5/30/1821 the 1st rubber-lined cotton web fire hose was patented by J. Boyd in Boston, MA.
5/30/1806 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter “died as a result of injuries sustained May 9th, while operating at a fire that destroyed 32 buildings.”
5/30/1883 five Lynchburg, VA firefighters died as a result of the injuries they suffered during a fire at 1003 Main Street. “They died as a result of injuries suffered during a fire at the Jones, Watts Bros & Co hardware store fire, that would consume 19 buildings on Main Street. The Fire started around 10:00 a.m., after an employee of the store lit a piece of paper to use as a light and dropped it, igniting some waste oil on the floor. Around 1 o’clock, with a sudden rush and tumble, the partition wall between Jones, Watts Bros & Co’s fell down in a mass of debris, burying the firefighters, instantly crushing and killing them.”
5/30/1919 two Detroit, MI firefighters died while working a fire that was reported in the basement of the plant of Berry Brothers Varnish Company around 2:00 p.m. “One firefighter was overcome by gas inhalation while working at the fire. He was taken to Receiving Hospital for treatment. He later returned to duty at his quarters. Around 10:30 p.m. he complained of not feeling well. After being examined by the department surgeon he returned to the hospital and passed away. The second firefighter died at 10:15 p.m. Gas inhalation from this fire also hospitalized six other firefighters. It was later found that the gas which was inhaled was formed by burning celluloid.”
5/30/1933 a Philadelphia, PA firefighter “died from inhalation of chemical fumes on May 24, 1933.”
5/30/1944 a Staten Island, New York (FDNY) firefighter “died as a result of the severe smoke inhalation sustained the previous day while operating at a stubborn ship fire.”
5/30/1976 a Brooklyn, NY (FDNY) firefighter died while fighting a fire at Box # 77-75-990, Dean Street & Vanderbilt Street. “After responding to several prior alarms, the firefighter arrived at a fire in an apartment house and found a mother and son trapped at a third-floor window. After climbing a ladder twice and rescuing both, he suddenly collapsed at the scene. He was rushed to the hospital, where he died a short time later as a result of an acute heart attack.”
5/30/1999 two District of Columbia, Washington DC, firefighters died while working a fire on the first floor of a townhouse at #3146 Cherry Road. Two firefighting crews had entered the front door of the townhouse at street level. The fire was confined to the basement. The basement, at grade at the rear of the structure, was opened by a truck company and a small fire was observed. A company officer at the basement door requested permission to hit the fire but his request was denied by the incident commander since he knew that crews were in the building and he did not want to have an opposing hose stream situation. The fire grew rapidly and extended up the basement stairs into the living areas of the townhouse where the firefighters were working. With the exception of two firefighters, all fire crews exited the building after the progress of the fire made the living area of the townhouse untenable. On the exterior of the building, firefighters realized that a firefighter was not accounted for. Firefighters reentered the building and followed the sound of a PASS device. They removed the firefighter with the activated PASS to the exterior of the building. Once outside, firefighters realized that the firefighter that had been rescued was not the missing firefighter but was in fact a second firefighter. The search continued, and the missing firefighter was discovered and removed approximately four minutes later. Both firefighters received immediate medical care on the scene and were rapidly transported to hospitals. The first firefighter was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital and the second firefighter died the following day. Two other firefighters were injured fighting the fire. One of these two firefighters, who suffered burns over 60% of his body surface area, survived and was released from the hospital in late August.”
5/30/2014 a fire in an electronic products warehouse in Pasay City in Metro Manila, Philippines killed eight women and injured eight others who were ‘locked’ inside. The fire started on the first floor of the two-story warehouse shortly after midnight.
5/30/1971 thirty-six were hospitalized during Grateful Dead concert after drinking LSD and apple juice.
5/30/1431 at Rouen in English-controlled Normandy, Joan of Arc, the peasant girl who became the savior of France, was burned at the stake for heresy.