5/23/2004 a South Wales, UK firefighter “died after he was caught in a fireball in an explosion at a burning wooden bingo hall in Ely, Cardiff. He was the first firefighter to enter the building with a hose line after it had been engulfed in flames up to 30-feet high. Two colleagues were also caught up in the flames and were burned. Despite their own facial injuries, they went inside to rescue their crew mate. The two men fought to resuscitate the firefighter, but he was found to be dead on arrival at hospital. The other two officers were released from hospital after treatment.”
5/23/2017 a Macon County, Montezuma, GA firefighter “died in the hospital several days after suffering a traumatic brain injury while at the scene of a working residential structure fire off Ga. 128 near Taylor County, near Montezuma, GA, on Saturday, May 20, 2017. According to initial reports, the firefighter was donning protective gear when the accident occurred. As other firefighters were setting up a hose line, the fire hose snagged on a truck, causing a coupling to strike him in the head knocking him to the ground. The firefighter was treated at the scene and rushed to the hospital where a CT scan showed he had suffered a stroke on the left side of his brain and that his skull was seriously fractured. The firefighter later underwent surgery, but succumbed to his injury on the evening of May 23, 2017.”
5/23/1935 the McPhee & McGinnity a lumber, paint and building supply company was destroyed by fire in Denver CO.
5/23/1964 the All Hallows Church Parish Hall fire killed seventeen and injured seventy-five in San Francisco, CA that started accidentally during the lighting of a fiery ceremonial sword at a Polynesian festival and quickly spread through the hall. A pan of gasoline caught fire while Samoan torch dancer was attempting to light the sword in the climax of his dance. Many of the injured were caught in a stampede for the exits.
5/23/1986 at approximately 1:22 p.m. an explosion and subsequent fire occurred at an abandoned automotive service station while an underground gasoline storage tanks being removed in downtown Portland, Maine. “The accumulation of gasoline vapors apparently ignited when a vehicle ignition was turned on, resulting in an explosion of a nearby tank being freed of flammable vapors. The tank end separated from the shell and both segments were propelled in opposite directions. One worker died as a result of being struck by a segment of the tank and the others were injured either flying debris or burned from the resulting fire.”
5/23/1995 at 8:23 p.m. a four-alarm bulk merchandising store fire in Quincy, MA damaged the single-story noncombustible construction 122,395 square foot building with merchandise and bulk storage displayed on a metal double rack system protected by a fire alarm and sprinkler system occupied by approximately sixty employees and one-hundred 100 customers. The accidental fire started in the lower storage rack of an area that stored pool chemicals; “probably caused by a chemical reaction involving the pool chemicals and leaking motor oil.”