3/9/1885 Steubenville, OH the Mossgroves Hotel burned and extended to the adjoining block including three mercantile establishments. A firefighter was killed, and several others injured when the roof collapsed. The fire started around 5:30 p.m.
3/9/1907 a Detroit, MI firefighter was killed while operating a fire.
3/9/1912 seven people including three firefighters died when a wall collapses during a warehouse fire and explosion at the immense brick warehouse of the International Harvester Company in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
3/9/1932 San Francisco, CA firefighter “died from injuries he received while operating at a dwelling fire at 22 Victoria.”
3/9/1937 Cuyahoga Falls, OH firefighter “suffered gas inhalation while fighting a fire and died of a heart attack on his way home the following morning.”
3/9/1941 New Haven, CT firefighter “died of the injuries he sustained after being caught in a roof collapse.”
3/9/1965 a Peterborough, Ontario, Canada firefighter “died in a fire at the Bad Boy’s Store on George Street.”
3/9/1965 a Dayton, Ohio firefighter “while fighting a fire at the Ungerleider Motor Co. at 415 N. Main Street around 7:00 p.m. the building began to collapse. He was unable to outrun the falling debris that trapped him and two other firefighters. Two other two firefighters were trapped only briefly and escaped with minor injuries. However, one was crushed by an I-beam during the collapse.”
3/9/1970 a San Bernardino Ranger Unit, CA firefighter (California Department of Forestry/ CAL FIRE) died of pneumonia. “He suffered burns of 60% of his body and was blown 100 feet following the explosion at the Yucca Valley, Unigas Company on February 20, 1970. He was one of two firefighters in a fire truck that had pulled up nearest the fire of leaking propane gas. They were getting hose when the explosion blasted through the air and burned them.”
3/9/1978 a Cornwall, Canada firefighter died at an apartment fire on Second Street West. “On arrival of Pump 4, found heavy smoke showing from the second floor of a three-story building. They stretched a hoseline and began a search for victims. The firefighter found and rescued a woman out of the fire apartment on the 2nd floor, and removed her to the outside for medic treatment. Unfortunately, she did not survive. The firefighter went back and reentered the structure with to continue search and rescue operations, when he collapsed. Firefighter who were only steps away in the smoke, heard him fall and with the help of others, removed him to the outside medical treatment, where he died from his injuries.”
3/9/1995 a San Francisco, CA firefighter “died of severe respiratory burns he received after becoming trapped in the garage of a house that was on fire. He had led his crew with the first attack line into the garage when the electrically controlled garage door closed behind them. “One unusually windy night in the City of San Francisco on March 9, 1995 a call came in that there was a fire in a residence located in the Diamond Heights Twin Peaks neighborhood. The winds were gusting at 80 miles per hour, which is the perfect fuel to fan a fire. The first engine crew to arrive put their scott airpacks on and led a charged line to the fire entering the open garage and proceeded through an open door in the rear. Winds roaring up Glen Canyon were blasting into an open sliding-glass door at the back of the house, creating a funnel effect that pushed the fire straight toward the crew. There, however, was one major unforeseeable problem. The fire exploded due to the high winds and created a backdraft. The crew quickly retreated to the garage hoping to avoid the smoke and flames. Something terribly had gone wrong, someone had closed the garage door and the crew was now trapped. Since the power had been cut off the crew was unable to open the electric door. The air was getting hotter and hotter- it was unbreathable. A firefighter jammed the door to keep it open. The scott airpacks the firefighters wore only had 30 minutes of air at the most. Valuable time was passing and there was no way out. The two firefighters and their officer laid on the ground attempting to get air from under the garage door. They choked and gagged as they banged on the garage door for help. Personal safety alarms would have been of no additional help since the firefighters calls for help were much louder than any activated personal alarm scream. These personal alarm devices work well when a firefighter passes out and is unable to call for help. Firefighters heard the calls for help and began attempting to lift the heavy door. The door refuse to budge and they could hear the shouts for help becoming fainter. Firefighters outside used axes, chain saws and a circular saw. Finally, two firefighters, with almost super human strength, lifted up the electric garage door. Two of the three firefighters were not breathing. There are some firefighters who believe that company officer had given the remaining air in his tank to the rookie firefighter who was lying next to him and as a result he died. One firefighter had burned his lungs and suffered third degree burns on both hands and other parts of his body. The second firefighter was placed in a coma by the medical doctors in an attempt to save her. Due to her serious injuries she was no longer able to work as a Firefighter and was forced to retire. She suffered permanent partial blindness as well as other serious permanent injuries. The first firefighter after many months of medical care and physical therapy was able to return to full duty. Nine other firefighters suffered serious injuries. The death of the company officer shocked all the members of the Fire Department.”
3/9/2008 a Val-Des-Mont, Quebec, Canada firefighter died fighting a house fire. “When firefighters arrived, they found it difficult to access the burning house because of two feet of snow. Crews went through an attached garage to reach the fire in the rear bedroom, when the garage collapsed. Other firefighters made it out, but one was buried under rubble. It took 45 minutes using a backhoe to reach his body.”
3/9/2015 a Lawrence Township, Clearfield, Pennsylvania firefighter “was critically injured while fighting a structure fire after a burning porch roof collapsed at a house fire on March 3. He passed away from his injuries on March 9th. He was pronounced dead after being heavily sedated at UPMC Altoona for nearly a week.”
3/9/2016 nine firefighters were injured after a natural gas explosion that leveled three business structures in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle, WA at the Quick Stop Market on N. 85th Street and Greenwood Avenue North shortly before 1:45 a.m.
3/9/1984 Scandinavian Sea fire disrupts a cruise approximately 5 miles off the east coast of central Florida. A fire of unknown origin started in a crew compartment of the 506’ ship while out at sea at 7:30 p.m. there were no injuries reported among the 946 passengers and crew. The ship docked at the Port of Canaveral Florida a few minutes before 9:30 p.m. all passengers were evacuated safely. “Before the 40-hour suppression operation was completed, the fire had spread vertically within Number 1 main vertical zone from A deck (deck of origin) heavily damaging the main, upper and lounge decks.”
3/9/1997 a fire in a partially sprinklered one-story combination of wood frame construction and unprotected steel school in Pangnirtung in a remote area of Baffin Island in, Northwest Territories, Canada, resulted in the destruction of the building being renovated and two weeks from completion. The fire started in a combustible void space near the gymnasium at approximately 1:30 p.m. in temperatures of -40°F (-40°C).
3/9/2013 seven perished in a horrific brick and timber house fire in southeastern Knox County Kentucky.
3/9/2013 seven horses died and four were injured in a barn that was destroyed by a fire at the Gulfstream Polo Club in Palm Beach County, FL.
3/9/1914 the Missouri Athletic Club & Bank building fire killed thirty-seven and twenty-nine were injured in St. Louis, MO when the seven-story hotel owned by the Boastman’s Bank was completely destroyed around 2:00 a.m. The fire was believed to have started in the dining room on the third floor of the building.
3/9/1911 the powder magazines of the DuPont-Nemours Powder Company in Pleasant Prairie, WI containing 180 tons of finished black powder and dynamite exploded, the shock was felt in Chicago 60 miles away, the number of dead reach forty and about 350 were injured.
3/9/1903 six died and several were injured in a wood frame hotel fire in Leiter, WV believed to have started when a lamp exploded.
3/9/1902 Bennington, Vermont the Unity Collar and Cuff Company fire broke out in the cutting room and destroyed the three-story 150 by 45-foot frame structure.
3/9/1899 Cooper, TX the Delta County Courthouse was completely destroyed by fire that started around 12:30 a.m. in the north side stairway leading to the cupola.
3/9/1883 Bellows Falls, VT a machine shop was destroyed by fire.
3/9/1981 an accident at a Japan Atomic Power Company in Tsuruga leaked radioactive waste exposing fifty-nine workers to radiation.